Sunday, February 8, 2009

Adventures in the Kitchen

A few weeks back I published a post on how my perception of myself has evolved. One significant aspect of that change has been my defining hobby. I used to read voraciously in high school, and though I had less time for pleasure reading in college I continued to define myself as a bookworm. These days I still enjoy books, but I rarely make time to read them and I'm embarrassed to say that I regret that more on principle than because of some deep yearning in my soul. If I have any defining hobby these days, I would have to say it's food and the preparation thereof.

That's not to say I'm some gourmet with super-refined taste. I wouldn't even say I'm a foodie--I enjoy eating, preparing, and learning about food, but I'm not full-time obsessive about it (yet?). I just enjoy good food, and find that cooking is a creative outlet that works in my schedule. I usually feel too busy to attempt reading anything longer than an internet news article or blog post, but since I have to feed my family every day I figure I might as well use that time as an opportunity to experiment and create something we will (hopefully) enjoy.

I've learned some interesting things along the way. For example, I recently discovered that bacon actually does play a meaningful role in some dishes, including a chicken chili recipe from which I always used to omit it. I've also learned that bottled lemon juice in no way compares with fresh squeezed, that red and green bell peppers actually taste very different (when I first started cooking, I assumed people just chose one over the other because they liked the color), and that pouring water on unbaked apple crisp can actually produce tasty results (a.k.a. my new favorite dessert). I'm curious to see what longstanding assumption I unexpectedly debunk next week.

Don't expect me to host a cooking show any time soon, though. I often tell people that if I started one, it would be billed as a comedy with viewers betting on what I would drop, spill, omit, or burn next. Most of my dishes turn out all right in the end, but it would be woefully inaccurate to call my preparation style either elegant or efficient. Oh well--what really matters is that the result tastes good and I had a good time making it.

3 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I rarely cook with green peppers anymore, unless the heat will hardly touch them as they become bitter as soon as they even darken slightly. There is, however, little difference in red, yellow and orange bells, but they sure make lovely fajitas.

Nicole Shelby said...

I'm slowly, ever so slowly, coming to enjoy cooking. I've found that the more organized I am with planning meals - the more creative and delicious my meals are.

I love walking around an excellent farmer's market store and picking out delectables, and imagining what combinations to create.

We're all into bell peppers - particularly reds, these days. Tonight: sauteed salmon and red bells, with fresh garlic, in olive oil. served over steamed basmatic rice and fresh roma tomatoes. and a bit of freshly grated parmesan for garnish.

i've found when i plan ahead - i have time to get excited and enjoy what i'm making/serving. if i haven't...then, it's lousy. nobody's happy.

thanks for the post.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

STM, it's good to know that reds, yellows, and oranges taste the same. I always figured as much, and decided I had better things to spend my money on than a fancy-colored veggie. :)

Nicole, planning is essential to my cooking, too. Nothing stresses me out more than getting close to dinnertime and having no clue what to fix or whether I have the ingredients I need. I always plan a week's worth of meals and shop for them all at once so cooking can be something to look forward to, not to dread.