Monday, October 13, 2008

Peace After a Small Storm

Joy and I were on our own at stake conference this morning, since Daddy was sitting with the choir on the stand. I was fine through most of the meeting, but by the time my active toddler and I neared the end of the second and final hour I was pretty worn out (and yes, years from now when I have more kids I will probably look back on that statement and laugh). I reached that point at about the same time our stake president was encouraging us to be a little more valiant in living the Gospel. At that moment the thought of adding anything more to my plate seemed totally overwhelming, and I had a fleeting temptation to go home and hide under a blanket for a while.

Fortunately, the Lord whispered a reminder that He won’t ask me to run any faster than I have strength. If I just keep putting one foot in front of the other on the path He has laid out, He will enlarge my capacity as much as I am ready for at a given time. It was reassuring to remember that I can do as much as He needs me to, and He will never ask more than I am able to give.

4 comments:

holly said...

Agreed. I often feel overwhelmed, but am comforted by knowing that I CAN do what the Lord asks me to do. It helps immensely.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

You were good to remember in time. I more often than not leave those meetings consumed with guilt and a great desire to sleep and just keep sleeping. I usually need a few days reflection before my own thoughts are so tranquil.

Bethany said...

Thank the heavens for that truth!

Nicole Shelby said...

i have that recurring battle. when i keep trying to attend church - though i spend the hours walking the halls. when i keep trying to take care of my children - though i'm up to my elbows in diapers and toys. when i keep trying to serve others - though i can barely get a brush through my hair.

and it's good to read of someone else that's succeeding.

thanks.