Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Voting for a Philosophy

I'm glad tonight's presidential debate was the last for this season, because I don't think I could endure another one. I didn't hear much about the issues that hadn't been said before, and I'm getting sick and tired of McCain's negativity.

I am determined to vote with my left brain firmly engaged - to analyze health care plans, economic plans, moral stances, and everything else to decide who will be the best leader for our country. I'm committed to doing that on November 4th. But right now I just want to turn off the left, logical side of my brain and let my right brain vent its frustration and disgust with a candidate who would rather strike fear into my gut than talk to my mind.

While Obama spent most of his time on substantial discussion of issues and what he hopes to accomplish, McCain spent the majority of his time attacking his opponent and harping on blatant inaccuracies like the supposed Ayers connection, and the born-alive abortion bill Obama opposed because it was already covered by Illinois state law and the new law would just stir up a Roe-related hornets' nest. One of the truest statements I heard this evening was Obama's comment that McCain's fixation on the Ayers issue instead of more important subjects says a lot about his campaign.

Why does McCain spend so much time smearing, and so little talking about his own goals? Is it because his plans are weak, or he fears they are too business-friendly to resonate with most American voters? Or is it simply because he believes it's easier to win by attacking his opponent than by making his own case? Whatever the justification, the strategy certainly isn't helping him win my heart or mind, and the more disgusted I get the harder it's becoming for me to analyze his views objectively. It's hard to look for the good in someone I have an increasingly difficult time respecting.

Yes, I know Obama sometimes stretches the truth, too. I know these are politicians, not saints. But I wish I could cast a vote for a campaign's philosophy. I wish I could vote in favor of being treated like an intelligent human, and against being treated like a skittish animal that can be frightened into voting a certain way. I wish I could just cast a vote in favor of dialogue and against divisive scare tactics. And I wish Mr. McCain's verbal commitment to chastise slanderers extended to his own ad team.

P.S. In case you're wondering what I thought of the "town hall" debate last week, it actually made a big impression on me. It's just taking me a while to frame my thoughts effectively. Hopefully I'll get that post finished soon.

4 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I have actually been wondering what you thought. I think it is important to pay attention to those negative ads as well. On balance, Obama's attack ads go after McCain's policies, not his character. McCain is attempting character attack because I'm not sure he can win on the issues. Interestingly enough, however, both candidates had a really "populist" method last night. I think we need Obama in the white house and McCain to be a powerful voice of reason in a Democratic Senate.

By the by, I like our Republican (and Mormon) senator here in Oregon. I've thought about getting an Obama sign and a Gordon Smith sign for my yard, just to stir people up by crossing party lines. So far, all declared yards in the neighborhood are red or blue. I've always liked purple. Admittedly, it is a very blue purple, but purple nevertheless.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

That is populist "message" not method.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Kim, I absolutely love you. (Okay, and not just because I agree with your political opinions or because your spinning is such a darn soothing thing to watch.)

Also, I like the idea of being purple.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm a fan of purple, too. Since I declared myself an Independent, I've found it's often easier to see the good and bad in both candidates. Back when I aligned myself with a particular party, it was more tempting to see politics as good guys (my party) vs bad guys (the other party).

And of course, the bad guys are always completely and UTTERLY bad. Admitting the other party is right about anything is equivalent to saying, "Sure, Darth Vader is evil, but the other day he said something that actually made sense." How often are you gonna hear that in the Rebellion's headquarters?