Friday, December 5, 2008

Padawans Rock

My company (I worked there before Joy arrived, and still telecommute a little from home each weekday) held its annual Christmas party at Disneyland this year. We enjoyed good food and a magic show at one of the hotels, then we headed over to the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day. Alas, they don't let pregnant gals ride Star Tours or Thunder Mountain, but Phillip and I still enjoyed riding some of the lower-key attractions.

My favorite Disneyland experience was actually not a ride, though. I loved watching the Jedi Training show, where kids get to learn basic light saber fighting moves, then face off against Darth Vader himself. I’m sure this would be a dream come true for many kids, and it was fun to see some of them really get into it.

Each "Padawan" got to wear a robe and wield a light saber in the show. This girl decided to accessorize with a crown, and the Jedi instructor deferentially called her "Princess."

One of the boys in the group showed particular enthusiasm and skill at following instructions. After he bested Darth Vader in hand-to-hand combat two menacing storm troopers suddenly closed in on him, and the Jedi instructor urged him to stretch out his hands and use the force to drive them back. Without hesitation, boy shot his hands forward and those storm troopers went reeling. It was awesome to watch, and I bet that young Padawan will remember the experience for the rest of his life.

4 comments:

The Jenkins said...

Are you and your family coming to pepper creek for xmas this year?

We'd love to see little Gavin!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I love this; it might be worth the trek to Southern California just for this.

Yesterday our neighbor came over to see if we had a ladder in exchange for a few extra boxes of Christmas lights. Jedi Master (7) held his hand out to him and said, "Brother Ditty, I'm forcing your neck."

Brother Ditty, love him, held his hands up to his neck and made gagging noises. Jedi Master has never been so happy.

We have Nerf dart guns at our house and the kids like them pretty well, but mostly they want my husband and I to shoot at them while they deflect with the lightsabers. My baby won't talk or do truck noises very often, but he makes light saber sounds. Imagination is THE BEST.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Jenkins family, I think you're thinking of a different Kimberly. I don't even know anyone named Gavin.

STM, I love that your baby makes light saber noises. :)

Jodi Jean said...

how awesome!!

and i have the force ... i totally hold out my hand all the time and objects come to me (thanks robby!)