Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Buzz Saw Meditation

A while back, I read about a blogger who takes the frustration out of bad situations by viewing them as opportunities to meditate. If she's exasperated with a slow grocery line, she labels the wait "grocery line meditation." Stuck in traffic? "Freeway meditation." The simple addition of the word "meditation" makes her feel serene and wise, rather than trapped and exasperated.

Today a neighbor decided it was a perfect afternoon to run his loud table saw, over and over again, right in the middle of my toddler's nap. It actually didn't disturb her much, but the first dozen times he turned the thing on I gritted my teeth and fought the urge to open the window and say some rather unneighborly things to him. Remembering the "meditation" trick I'd read, I started mentally referring to the odious noise as an opportunity for "buzz saw meditation." It really did make me feel better, possibly because humor dispels tension.

4 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Nothing like a nice, quiet bout of buzz saw mediation to start the holidays off right.

We had a neighbor once who helped me get in touch with myself through shake-the-windows-demon-rap meditation. Good times.

Liesl said...

LOL!!!! I love it! So when my students are giving me attitude, all I have to do is think to myself "Attitude Meditation" to stay calm!! :)

Jodi Jean said...

brilliant!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

It might be worth a try, Liesl. Something about the word "meditation" makes me deep, calming breath every time I think about it. :)