Saturday, June 13, 2009

Are You Prepared For This?

Phillip and I attended some preparedness seminars at our chapel today. Of course, since we're preparedness-challenged, we forgot to prepare accommodations for our toddler so she ended up coming with us.

We learned a lot of helpful things this afternoon, and I'm excited to put some of them into practice. I suppose it says something about my priorities that my favorite thing I learned was a simple food storage recipe that I could actually bear to eat. You just cook 2 cups of dry macaroni or other pasta (I use Barilla Plus Multigrain pasta because it tastes like regular pasta but is much more nutritious), then drain it and stir in a can of cream of mushroom soup and a 12oz can of canned chicken from Costco. And that's it. It's tasty in an unassuming sort of way, and it would be easy to jazz up with whatever seasonings you're in the mood for (curry or Italian seasoning come to mind).

My other favorite thing I learned was that Katadyn makes simple purifying drink bottles that you can fill with nearly a liter of clear water, then immediately squeeze filtered, drinkable water out the top. They filter out bacteria, viruses, you name it. I've heard you get a bit of a workout squeezing the water out, but I love the simplicity of the concept. I think I know what's going on my birthday list this year . . .

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Yeah, preparedness is a blast. I think we are getting a wheat grinder for Christmas. Yeah.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Awesome. :)