Monday, March 22, 2010

You Don't Have To Read This

As I was reading Elder Christofferson's recent conference talk on Moral Discipline, it occurred to me that we often say that we "have" to do things, when the reality is that we choose to do them because we want the benefits or are unwilling to accept the alternatives.

I don't HAVE to put gas my car (no one is standing there forcing my hand to swipe my credit card), but I do it because I want to quickly and easily transport my family. I don't HAVE to get out of bed when my kids wake up, but I do it because I want them to be safe, fed, and happy. I don't HAVE to read the scriptures, but I do it because I need the strength and direction they offer. You get the idea.

I suppose this is all rather obvious, but I mention it because I find that my feelings toward an activity improve when I think about the positive reasons I CHOOSE to do it rather than the sense of obligation that I "have" to do it.

No comments: