Saturday, September 28, 2013

Appleseed Day and Better than Fine

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . praying about something that troubled me, and receiving an assurance that things would be fine.  Better than fine, in fact.  I'm always touched that the God of this vast universe cares enough not just to help but to comfort me.

And another thing . . .

. . . Joy's class observed Johnny Appleseed Day today, and her teacher requested that some parents help out with the activities.  I figured this would be a good chance for me to help in Joy's class before Baby Boy's arrival makes that difficult, so I signed right up.

We helped the kids cut up apples to make crockpot applesauce, then we helped them weave paper strips through big, paper apples to decorate their room for fall.  It was fun to watch the teacher talk with the class about where apples come from, then slice an apple side to side to show them the "star" and little "pips" in the middle.

Seven helpers were there from start to finish, and I noticed some interesting overlaps among us.  There were:

1) Four moms
2) One dad
3) Two grandmas (technically they're moms as well, but I mean they are grandmas to students in the class)
4) Three fluent Spanish speakers
5) Two mothers with sons in the class named Aidan
6) Two parents who have studied Aikido
7) Two Asians
8) Three parents who studied to be college professors (one is currently teaching and the others decided to be stay-home parents - see #10)
9) Two women from Great Britain
10) Two women in their third trimester
11) Two women who live on my block

In case you're wondering, I fit  categories 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 11.

No comments: