Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Nutkin

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . taking a little stroll with Todd, and seeing a squirrel with a stubby tail.  That always makes me think of the Beatrix Potter tale of Squirrel Nutkin, which my mom used to read to me when I was a child.  When I recently reread it for the first time in decades I didn't find the story itself that captivating, but I still smile and think, "There goes Nutkin!" when I see a squirrel with a stub of a tail.

Incidentally, when I was a kid I thought Nutkin was just singing nonsense to the owl, but when I reread the story as an adult I noticed that the silly poems were riddles.  I guessed a few, then when I went online to look up the other answers I learned that they are italicized and embedded in the text around the riddle.  Clever.

No comments: