Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Zeus and Alaska in Arkansas

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  glancing out the window just in time to see a big bolt of lightning strike a mile or two away.  That was a little unsettling.  I'm still getting used to the fact that we've moved from dry-sky California to Zeus's playground.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . introducing myself to someone who said my name was pretty.  I don't think anyone has ever told me that before.

And another thing . . .

. . . I met a mom today who named her baby girl Alaska because she thinks the name sounds pretty.  She says some people get really upset when they learn her baby's unusual name.  I'm not inclined to give my kids names that make people do a double take (I think kids have enough to deal with in life without having to explain or spell their name over and over), but I feel baby names are a very personal decision and I wouldn't criticize someone else's choice.  I might try to talk them out of it if I thought the name was a magnet for playground derision, but once the baby is named I don't think there's any benefit to making a fuss about it.

No comments: