Thursday, March 22, 2007

Who Couldn't Use More Cash?

I'd like to share one other thing I heard on Sunday that you might enjoy. A speaker who likes to shop told us about a form of renewable CASH - the more you spend, the more you get to keep spending:

Compliment
Ask
Smile
Hello

The more you smile at people, say hi to them, sincerely compliment them, and ask questions about them, their interests, their families, etc., the more you get to enjoy each other's company and keep being friendly. Makes me warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. :)

As a matter of fact, I've been thinking I should get to know our neighbors in our apartment complex better. Earlier this week I passed one of them while Baby and I were out walking, and though I didn't know him very well I did at least remember his name. I smiled and said, "Hi, Joe." He smiled and returned my greeting. Later that day we crossed paths again, and he paused and asked me to remind him of my name. I told him, feeling touched that he was interested in knowing it.

I'm still a long way from knowing Joe well (probably should have asked him a question like "What do you do? Where are you from? Do you prefer mayo or mustard?"), but "hi" is a start. We probably would have just kept passing each other with mute nods if I hadn't smiled and addressed him by name.

2 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I dunno...I think asking about the mayo/mustard preference may be a bit incendiary. However, book genre preferences could creep into your next conversation...

Phew. And I'm definitely going to have to employ the whole 'be friendly to other people for behold this is a great way to make friends' idea when I gallavant off to Boston. I'm suddenly nervous...

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

You'll do fine. You're tons of fun and you've already got the smiling part down pat.

And you're right - inflammatory topics like politics and condiments should be avoided until you really know a person. I'll have to remember the book preferences idea.