Saturday, August 9, 2008

Forget Self-Esteem

The current marriage debate in California prompted me to pull out an old textbook that compares sociological findings with LDS doctrine on the family. The book contains numerous essays by psychologists, family therapists, and the like, and I was particularly interested in Wells and Burr's* take on the idea of self-esteem.

The authors note that in the previous century, many social scientists believed that the best way to improve someone's quality of life was to increase their self-esteem. In recent years, however, scholars have found that the exclusive focus on self (e.g. my needs, my happiness, my progress) often leads to selfishness which doesn't actually make a person very happy.

While it is, of course, important to see to your needs and take time for yourself periodically, many scholars are shifting their focus from improving self-esteem to improving relationships. They believe the most effective way for a person to increase their happiness is to "heal relationships with others, and to cultivate love and harmony and forgiveness in their relationships."

These ideas really resonate with me as a full-time mom. My responsibilities leave little time for hobbies, and I find that if I devote a morning to some personal pursuit and only interact with Joy when she absolutely refuses to be ignored, all that personal time doesn't actually make me feel better. My happiest days are the ones when I'm fully engaged with my daughter while she's awake--playing with her, teaching her, or even just watching her make her own fun. In my pre-motherhood, so-not-into-babies stage of life, I never would have dreamed I could get so much satisfaction from watching a toddler pick up pebbles or from reading her "Goodnight Moon" for the hundredth time.

The same is true at night when Joy is in bed and Phillip and I are free to attack our to-do lists. If we each spend the whole evening working separately, we get lots done but feel kind of empty at the end. On the other hand, if we take some time to talk or just cuddle on the couch and watch the dust motes settle, most of our work still gets done and we are a lot happier and closer as a couple.

In short, personal activities can be fun and satisfying, and I do find time for them now and then, but whenever I shove them to the top of my priority list they turn to ashes. By contrast, when I turn my attention to nurturing my relationships with my family and others I get a lot more satisfaction from life, and they probably do, too.


*M. Gawain Wells is a professor of psychology at BYU; Wesley R. Burr is an emeritus professor of family life from the same school. The book is Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family, edited by David C. Dollahite. A bit pricey, but an excellent resource.

3 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

ahh ... i struggle with this. too often do i turn on the tv and let aidan wiggle it out while i work on my computer (not just blogging ... although that too ... i just seems like there aren't enough hours in the day!!)

Serena said...

That's book I have been studying. It is great! KIds need some time to just have thier own space and time. If they want to watch tv, who cares as long as it is fun and educational. Sofia's favorites which I do with her sometimes too, is Hi-five, The wiggles, The doodlebops, The upside down show, Zaboomafoo, Yo gabba gabba, Imagination movers show, Barney, Bunnytown, where she can sing and dance and learn all at the same time. All we can do is do the best that we can without passing out! Lol.

Serena said...

That's so funny I was commenting on Jodi's comment, with yours. To finish with yours (lol) my husband and I goof off every evening. We tickle, wrestle, talk, laugh, watch some show, and bust up laughing, we message each other's feet, (well he gets it the most) (lol)and lots more. He doesn't want to spend time on the computer when we do that. Doing drawing, coloring, blocks, dolls, paint, playdough, crafts, cars, music, dance, gymnastics, swim, role play, puppets, stories, basketball, park play, manipulative play,cashier, shopper, dress up, computer, sing, barbies, animals, wii, magnets, chalkboard, dry erase, playing instruments, bath time, moms club, prayer, scripture, church, family home evening, by the end of the day, if your still walking, which I barely am) You can feel that you did what you could. Then you get to romp around with your hubby. (Lol) Isn't life grand! ( not)