Friday, August 22, 2008

How to Get Rid of a Heel

Don't worry folks - I haven't fallen desperately ill or been kidnapped by nefarious brigands. We just returned from a long trip and, let's face it, on the rare occasions when I had access to a the internet I didn't feel like exerting the mental effort that blogging usually requires. I was on vacation, after all.

I'll try to write something meaningful and thought-provoking about our trip sometime soon, but in the meantime, here's a totally random thought some of you may find beneficial.

Do your family members have a certain aversion to the heels of bread loaves? Do you periodically find that your loaf has been reduced to the two all-crust ends that no one is willing to eat? That's certainly the case in my family, and I think I've finally found a way to increase heel appeal: spread Nutella on them. Slather it, if necessary. 'Cuz Nutella makes practically everything taste better.

5 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Um . . . Nutella.

Caitlin said...

We have the same problem and I am excited to try your solution.

Cathy said...

Odd. Ed already does this. We may have heels to several loaves of bread accumulated, and he'll eat 'em all with nutella.

More reasons why I love both of you :-)

Jodi Jean said...

hehe ... LOVE nutella.

check out this nutella cookie recipe:
http://www.rookie-cookie.com/2008/08/chocolate-hazelnut-cookies.html

i just give the heels to aidan, i've also heard of people throwing them in their freezer and then taking them to the park to feed the birds. aidan loves to see the ducks at our local park and bread sure helps.

Nicole Shelby said...

ha!
that used to be a problem around here. until i got tricky. when i make sandwiches for lunch, i spread the peanut butter on the "ugly-side" then squish it so it looks like any other piece of bread. gets eaten and nobody notices that they got the poor little unwanted slice.

and i agree - nutella is brilliantly delicious.
i gave jodi a lecture one time on how it originated. i thought it was fascinating. she told me i was boring. oh well...