Friday, October 8, 2010

Baby Beluga and Three Cups of Tea

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . reading to Daniel. He's into Baby Beluga these days.

. . . the monthly book group meeting. As usual, we had a lively discussion (sometimes on topic, sometimes not). Since I hosted, I get to pick the book for next month. I chose Three Cups of Tea, partly on STM's recommendation, and partly because I'd like to see a kinder, gentler side of Islam. I'm sure there are many normal, decent Muslims in this wide world, but all you ever see on the news are jihadists, politicians with an agenda, angry people reacting to the latest bombing, etc. I suspect that they no more represent Islam than the guy who recently threatened to burn Korans represents Christianity, but it would be nice to ground that assumption in stories of real people, not just my belief in the general goodness of humanity. I hope Mortenson's book will reinforce that belief.

No comments: