Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Snakes and Silliness

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . substituting a cup of whole wheat flour for one of the cups of white flour in my pumpkin cookie recipe, and finding that the result tastes just as good as the regular version. Since they're healthy cookies I can eat more of them, right?

. . . listening to a hilarious NPR interview with an artist who got bored, devoted a website to his doodles of almost naked animals, and consequently got offered a job with Disney.

. . . halfway through the interview, hearing Joy (who always finds it unsettling when I laugh at something she doesn't understand) shout, "When can we get out of the car? I don't like these funny things!"

And another thing . . .

. . . even as we rapidly approach November's election, I find that few subjects are more polarizing than pet snakes. Whenever it comes up that I own a legless, scaly vertebrate, I invariably get one of two reactions: the person either thinks it's cool and they want to know more, or they shudder and change the subject. I freely talk about religion, and occasionally about politics, but I tend avoid the subject of my pet corn snake.

No comments: