Friday, March 14, 2014

Free Pie and Chess with Lando

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  my two-year-old having a meltdown in the car because she wanted me to drive the opposite direction I was going.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . winning an apple pie.  We had a pie-making class at tonight's Relief Society activity, and at the end of the activity they raffled off the unbaked pies.  It was a timely acquisition since tomorrow (3/14) is Pi Day.  Ironically, on the way to the activity I had already bought three baskets of strawberries to make a fresh strawberry pie for tomorrow.  Guess we'll just have to invite some geeky friends over to observe Pi Day with us.

. . . working through my storyteller's block to make up a new story for Joy.  Every week when I drive her to her piano lesson, she asks me to tell her a Star Wars story.  Lately she keeps asking me to make up a tale (usually about one of the bad guys), or repeat one I made up previously. It's been an interesting mental exercise to fill in some of the gaps in the Star Wars films (e.g. how did Darth Maul find his way through that huge palace to the Naboo aircraft hanger, and how did the Rebels catch all those tauntauns on Hoth?).  This time I pondered what Darth Vader did in Cloud City while he was waiting to capture Han and Leia.  I had him play a quick game of chess with Lando Calrissian, and learn something interesting about Lando's character.  It wasn't one of my more humorous or action-packed stories, so we'll see if Joy asks me to repeat it.  She asked me to recount Darth Vader's foiled efforts to obtain a strawberry smoothie at least four times (changing the fruit every time).

No comments: