Saturday, November 15, 2014

Anna Hands and Nephi's Relevance

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . holding little Anna's hand as we walked to and from the car picking up the big sibs.  All my kids reach a stage as toddlers when they no longer want to hold my hand, even when crossing a busy street.  Anna has suddenly decided that that stage is over, and she wants to hold my hand all the time.  I find I don't mind.

And another thing . . .

. . . I've read the Book of Mormon so many times I've lost count, and I recently felt prompted to start reading it again.  I started last week, and as I've read the first few chapters I've been struck by how relevant this ancient book feels to the daily challenges of my life.

Nephi’s multiple attempts to get the brass plates remind me that we should enlist the Lord’s help and keep trying to figure out how to kepp working on worthy goals, even though earlier attempts have run aground in one way or another.  The fact that Nephi’s brothers followed him (however reluctantly) back to Jerusalem after the angel  left reminds me that I can be a force for good in my family if I am committed to doing what is right. Lehi’s soft answer to Sariah’s complaints reminded me that it’s best to give my husband and children a gentle response, even if I think an impatient one is justified.  This morning, as I read Sariah’s testimony  after her sons’ safe return, I felt that we will one day look back on this time and see that God had a plan for us and a guiding hand in our lives, even amidst our trials.

No comments: