Sunday, October 25, 2015

Gingerbread Heart and Gift Challenged

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . baking gingerbread.  The smell is wonderful, and the cookies are tasty, but my favorite part is combining the dough scraps left over after the cookies are all cut out, and shaping them into a little heart cookie for Phillip.

And another thing . . .

. . . I am gift challenged.  Some people (like my mom, and a high school friend who recently gave me a cool dragon cake pan for my birthday) love giving gifts.  I hate doing it, partly because I'm a cheapskate, but mostly because I want to give people something that they will like and use, and I have a really hard time guessing what that might be.  I realized how truly gift challenged I am today when it occurred to me that I would rather compose an essay on race and gender relations in PBS kid shows (or American politics, or Star Wars films) and present it to a hundred strangers than try to buy a gift for one of my son's classmates who I've never met.

No comments: