Friday, May 18, 2007

The Blogging Community

I was reading Sarah Flake’s blog recently, and was struck by one of her comments. She has been very busy with her newborn daughter lately, and she expressed regret that she hasn’t been able to read and comment on her friends’ blogs as often as she would like to. She said bloggers are a community, and she feels an obligation to participate.

I had not thought about blogging in that way before. I enjoy reading about what friends and family are doing, and I love getting comments posted to my own blog, but it had not occurred to me before that I am part of a community of bloggers and that I have a responsibility to interact and contribute. Bloggers post because they want to share part of themselves with other people, but they can’t share if we don’t come to visit now and then, and share our thoughts, in turn

6 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I think that's why I put Site Meter on my blog initially; I don't always get comments, but if I know people are coming and reading what I've written, it makes me want to write (and thus share & participate) more.

Or maybe I just like having stats to check out.

Yeah. That's it.

(P.S. Glad you're part of the blogging community too. :))

CJ said...

This is the sort of post you can't help but comment on, since its about leaving comments and everything...

I'll admit-- with all the blogs out there to read, its pretty easy to get lazy and become a drive-by blog reader. That's what I feel like sometimes... I like to read and enjoy, but don't always leave a token of gratitude behind (comment). It sure is more fun to post though when others leave comments.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Sure is. :)

And I hear you on the site meter thing, Beth. Early on I didn't get many posts, so when I installed the meter I was surprised to discover how many people really were visiting my blog. It was very encouraging.

Of course, it's even more encouraging when they comment. ;)

Sheree in GA said...

Do your parents ever look at your blogs? I've never seen their comments.

Sheree in GA said...

P.S. I think it's a wonderful way to keep up on family members and especially the little cousins. It doesn't seem like we are so out of touch anymore. At least with those who are blogging and those of us who are reading. Have you seen Philip and Shellie's blog?

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

My mom looks at the blogs, but I don't think Dad is that into them. I could be wrong, though. Some people read but never post.

As for Cousin Philip and Shellie's blog, I saw it once but now I can't seem to get on it. Security is a mixed blessing.