Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Every Girl Should Be So Lucky

On a totally different note, I experienced yet another example tonight of how two heads truly are better than one when it comes to running a household. I have been trying for quite some time to figure out how to get the trash taken out on a regular basis. Phillip insists it is his duty as a husband to empty the garbage, but since we don’t generate enough trash to warrant taking it out every day, he often forgets to do it. I don’t want to nag, but I don’t want to be stuck cramming broccoli stems into a bulging garbage can either. I could take it out myself, but whenever I do that Phillip feels he has shirked his husbandly duty.

Faced with this domestic dilemma, I concluded that we needed a chart of daily garbage duties. That seemed straightforward enough until I tried to break down what would be emptied what day. The kitchen trash could alternate days with the diaper genie, but what of the bathroom trash and the small can by our desk? I devised all sorts of complicated sequences and algorithms for Hendrickson waste removal, but nothing seemed to work. Tonight I related my frustrations to Phillip, and he responded, “Why don’t I just check all the cans each night and see what needs to be emptied?”

So simple, and yet so brilliant. I’m so glad I married an engineer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny. Louis and I actually run into the same issue with the garbage, especially because we have so many different cans...kitchen recycling, kitchen waste, computer desk recycling, computer desk waste, and then three bathroom cans. Inevitably, we forget to get to them until they have finally overflown and we're so frustrated that we take the bags out and don't bother to put bags back in. Luckily, we have solved our problem too. The solution involves paying one of my sisters a small sum plus the use of our washer and dryer in order clean our house once week...including taking out the garbage!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Would your sister be willing to come to L.A., too? We don't have our own washer to offer, but perhaps we could tempt her with the use of our apartment complex pool. :)

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Dang, I gotta find me an engineer.

Seriously.

That garbage issue won't resolve itself.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

They're handy for fixing computers, too. :)