Saturday, November 17, 2007

Purple Thoughts on Red and Blue Entertainment

A while back, I mentioned to a neighbor that I listen to NPR. He grimaced and said, "You listen to that bunch of liberals?" His response baffled me because I think NPR is pretty balanced, especially compared to some of the screaming shock jocks you hear on other stations. Well, a few days ago I heard about a study that puts our conversation in a much clearer light.

Earlier this year, The Normal Lear Center conducted a study on political views and entertainment preferences. They surveyed people about numerous political issues, then asked them questions about what TV, music, and books they like. They found that political views can be a huge predictor for what entertainment a person enjoys.

I'll refer you to the press release and the Center's web page on the study if you want to read the details. For my part, the study's most interesting finding was that liberals tend to enjoy entertainment that presents diverse viewpoints, while most conservatives prefer things that reinforce their existing values.

This makes conservatives sound rather close minded, and in some cases that may be true (for that matter, I've met a few close-minded liberals, too). Be that as it may, I suspect the difference stems from the fact that conservatives' values are often linked to religious beliefs, and in that context exploring other viewpoints would always be considered a negative thing. I think liberals tend to base their values more on intellectual reasoning, and since one idea is as good as another until it's disproved, liberals feel there is nothing to lose and possibly something to gain in considering different viewpoints.

Of course, views on taxes, health care, immigration, etc., are probably not religiously based in most cases,* but I think since many conservatives have moral objections to some liberal views, they tend to think all liberal ideas are tainted by association.

Back to the entertainment issue, it's interesting to see how it plays out in my life. I'm conservative on some issues and moderate on others, and I find that the more conservative I am about a given topic, the less I want to watch or listen to something that conflicts with my beliefs about it. I feel such media is degrading, and think it has a negative impact on our society. On the other hand, I'm more than willing to hear diverse opinions about my moderate issues, as long as it isn't an arrogant monologue or a shouting match. That's probably why I like NPR.

And it's probably why my neighbor didn't. He's one of the most conservative people I know, and I suspect he prefers all those AM stations where conservative talk show hosts shout about what idiots liberals are. I don't have much patience for arguments whose main premise is that the other side is evil and/or stupid. I think that view stifles dialogue and progress, and I know too many good people on both sides to believe it.


*There are certainly exceptions to this statement. For a look at some differing Mormon views on religion and economics, check out STM's recent post.

9 comments:

Caitlin said...

I read that same report a few days ago and I found it fascinating! Although I am an independent, I have pretty conservative views on most social issues. I was shocked to read how "liberal" my entertainment choices were. Your thoughts on why liberals and conservatives choose what they do seemed pretty accurate and I am not sure if I would have considered that on my own. Thanks for the post.

P.S. I am an NPR fan too and my father-in-law calls it "Commie Radio."

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

My dad has similar feelings about CNN. He prefers Fox. Guess which way he votes. :)

What does your dad call NPR?

Desmama said...

Very articulate. I enjoyed your thoughts.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I like what you said about being willing to listen as long as it wasn't an "arrogant monologue or a shouting match." This is the same reason I like NPR. It seems balanced precisely because they speak politely to people on both sides of an issue. If that is liberal . . . well then I guess I am.

Interesting story you cited here. I'm reminded of a conversation I had some years ago with one of the fathers of a high school student I taught in YW. Her dad (HIGHLY conservative) was up in arms over what he termed her "liberal" education. He said he couldn't understand why her AP English teacher just couldn't teach writing without so much class discussion over books, he believed, which attacked traditional values. He used the term "secular humanism" (don't get me started), and he was unable to tell me what she was actually reading, so I'm not sure what his specific objections were. I smiled and nodded (I had great respect for this man in lots of other ways and loved his daughter--he wasn't really looking for advice, just venting at somebody he knew was a teacher and assumed agreed with him because of the Church), but inside I was seething.

I can hardly wait for the day when one of my boys comes home from school unsure about something he has been taught and wants to discuss it with me. A testimony is a vacuum is of no use at all. Isn't that the very reason we came to this life?

Some time ago (early July) I posted about my frustration with the whole "if you aren't with us, then you are against us" rhetoric being used in our government so much lately. It is not necessarily "un-American" to want to have a discussion about the best way to proceed, even if those ideas involve thinking twice or even three times before embroiling ourselves in an unwinnable, idealogical war. In fact, this discussion is at the very heart of what makes America great. When I view or listen to or read things that disagree with my formed opinions, and the issue is more about practices than principles, then I try to listen to understand the other side to either change my mind to better reflect what seems best, or at least I understand where others our coming from so my opinions are not formed in ignorance. Again, if this is liberal . . . I guess I am.

Serena said...

Life wouldn't be fun if the world was just one or the other. Having different views on entertainment gives us more creative things to try. (Even though we really don't want to push anything inappropiate)
We are all like children. We need rules but we also need our free agency. We need the goverment to stick to the rules and tradition, and then we also need freedom to explore and try new things and take risks. It's an endless subject. It will never end.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I hope my children will discuss their concerns and questions with me. I tended to keep my thoughts to myself as a kid, and I wonder what perspective my parents might have lent to my education if I'd talked with them about it more.

Anonymous said...

liberals are a bunch of bumper-sticker-loving, money-wasting, head-in-the-clouds, hippie yahoos.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Anonymous has proven the point. If there is any dialogue, discussion or differing views, you must be a bleeding-heart-liberal-commie- pinko. Because name calling is OBVIOUSLY a really great way to explain your views.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I think there are money-wasters in both camps - they just waste it on different things. :)