Friday, January 11, 2008

Book Review - "A Little Princess"

I finished A Little Princess this week, and though it wasn't quite as enchanting as that author's The Secret Garden, I must say I enjoyed reading it and I look forward to sharing it with my daughter someday. There are principles in this story that I hope we'll both incorporate into our lives.

The main premise of the story is that Sara, a girl with an enormous fortune and a vivid imagination, likes to pretend she is a princess so she’ll remember to act like one. That resolve is put to the test when she is suddenly left orphaned and penniless, and the mistress of her boarding school keeps her as an ill-treated, over-worked little maid.

When Sara is abused and insulted by the same people who used to be at her beck and call, she draws strength from the idea that she is still a princess inside. She carries herself with dignity and strives to treat everyone with respect and kindness, regardless of how they themselves act. When people insult her she responds not with hurt or anger, but pity that her assailants are degrading themselves so much. Moreover, when she sees someone in need she does her best to help them, if only by using her imagination to help them look on the bright side (a drafty attic bedroom is almost romantic if you imagine you're a prisoner in the Bastille). In her mind that's just what a good princess does, especially when times are tough.

I like the concept of remembering who you are, no matter what life throws at you. Though I will never be a princess, I am a daughter of God with potential to become like Him. As I read how Sara’s princess idea helped her rise above her circumstances, I better understood why Church leaders so often encourage us to remember our divine nature. I doubt I will ever forget the image of Sara Crewe calmly enduring a barrage of insults with the thought, "If only you knew who I really am."

The other thing that struck me about this story is that the "princess's" best friends, both before and after her reversal of fortune, are not the best and brightest of the school. Her three closest companions are the dunce of the class, the most tantrum-prone of the younger girls, and the scullery maid who everyone else overlooks. Just as Sara's concept of her own worth has nothing to do with position or appearance, those factors play absolutely no role in her appraisal of others. She sees only a person's heart, and whether they have a need she can fill. If their hands hang down, she lifts them; if their eyes are wet, she dries them; if their hearts are gentle, she loves them. May I learn to see people so clearly.

10 comments:

Desmama said...

This sounds interesting. I've never read it nor The Secret Garden but I'll have to give them a try . . .

Anonymous said...

I've always loved this story and your review actually made me think of two things.

The first is that Sara's image of a princess is so far removed from modern interpretations of a princess. It almost seems to fit the noblesse oblige idea that if you are of higher social position you have *more* of a responsibility to embody all that is "good." That is a distant cry from the notion of princess and spoiled and self-serving and *almost* makes me feel a bit better about accepting my inner princess *grin*.

The second thing that struck me was your statement about how Sara felt pity for those who teased and mocked her because she saw them as degrading themselves through such behavior. This concept is reminiscent of Aime Cesaire's contention that when there is oppression and exploitation in a society, *both* the oppressed and the oppressor are lowered, i.e. those who oppress and exploit others lessen their own esteem and worth.

In any case, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Siobhan, I often thought the same thing about Sara's definition of a princess. I guess she took hers from old-school fairy tales (or even old-school Disney) which assumed that in addition to being richer and more socially influential, princesses were also more virtuous and generous than the common person.

These days, most people take their definition from the Disney marketing department (i.e. being a princess means you have a lavish wardrobe and spend all your time at fancy parties with your tiara-bearing gal pals). I have nothing against dressing up, but I regret that the focus is all on perks, rarely on character.

Ironically, Disney addressed that very issue in "The Lion King." Mufasa equated authority with responsibility; Scar just associated it with power and privilege. It's ironic that Disney's male heroes still tend to feel the weight of noblesse oblige (Aladdin and Mulan's emperor did, too), but female royals seem to feel no such burden.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

What a great review. After all, literature is best when it gives us something to remember it by. I remember teaching a young women's class once and talking about them being princesses--as children of God. I made that a theme through several lessons and it seemed to really resonate.

Caitlin said...

Nothing like channeling your inner-princess to get things done. Aside from the the prominent themes that Burnett expertly wove into the story, I really enjoyed the imagery. The beautiful doll, Emily, and her elaborate wardrobe, the items that Sara kept in her chest, images of colonized India, even the bakery where Sara buys the buns are all written so beautifully. The imagery really appealed to me as a young girl with a head full of romantic notions.

Nicole Shelby said...

i think your review was brilliant and enlightening...it spurs thought and intrigues me to read a book I haven't in years...
thanks kimberly

Phillip said...

You don't think you'll ever be a princess? I sure think of you as one...

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks. :) I love you, sweetheart.

Serena said...

I have always considered myself a princess as I am a daughter of Heavenly Father. Of course not in the way the world views a princess. I love the Secret Garden and A little Princess. I so relate to Sara. You don't have to have money to be a princess. I was raised by a mother who thought children were born to be her maids. She was very strict, she would lock us in our rooms too, when she felt we needed a time out. I could go on, but you get the picture. That's why I love these stories. It's always nice to know that others have gone through the same thing and came out on top over it. Great review! So, what's the next book?

Anonymous said...

kimberlybluestocking.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.