Thursday, January 17, 2008

Joyous Return to the Kitchen

Phillip and I have been trying to tighten up our budget lately, and we decided our grocery bill was a good place to start (Does any other couple with one toddler spend $400+ each month on groceries? Are we hopelessly extravagant, or is everyone else in the same boat?). Usually I do the shopping and cooking, and Phillip handles the dishes. Last week we decided to conduct an experiment: I would take over the dishes, and Phillip would try spending the least money possible to put nutritious food on our family's table.

Phillip did manage to spend significantly less than usual on groceries (I plan to try a similar experiment myself later this month), but neither of us is tempted to make the chore-swap permanent. Phillip is a decent cook, but he doesn't enjoy doing it (you can read his thoughts on that subject on his blog). For my part, I became even more grateful for a husband who is willing to wash the dishes so I don't have to.

On top of that, I found that giving up cooking was a sacrifice for me. It has become my creative outlet (in addition to blogging) - a chance to try new things and produce something that (hopefully) is a delight to the senses. What's more, much as I love Joy, after a full day of tending her I look forward to a change of pace in the kitchen while Phillip takes over watching her for a little while. When our jobs were reversed, it was pretty deflating to see him disappear into the kitchen when he got home, while I tried to think of activities Joy and I hadn't already done twenty times that afternoon. I love spending time with Baby, but even your favorite treat gets old if you eat it all day.

In short, I'm very happy to be back on kitchen duty, even if I did unwittingly substitute jalepenos for green chilies last night and make that casserole WAY too spicy. Joy is usually pretty keen on sharing dinner with us, but one bite of that entree was more than enough for her. I'll leave her reaction to your imagination.

8 comments:

Desmama said...

I hear you on this. As un-talented as I am in the kitchen, I'd rather keep it my primary domain and let Dad handle the kids because it represents a much-needed break for me. For all of us, really.

The chile/jalapeno thing sounds funny. Hope it wasn't too traumatic!

Phillip said...

Define "too traumatic"...

The response was definitely a delayed one, though, as it took a few seconds for the chili to start burning. She cried for an amazingly short time, though.

Jodi Jean said...

i hear ya, sometime i need a little "time off" from being a momma. i get worn out sometimes, and a break is definitely appreciated.

i have a love/hate relationship with cooking, it goes through cycles, right now i'm not liking it. glad you do though!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

There are definitely days when cooking seems more like work than play, but most of the time I enjoy it. Good thing, cuz somebody's gotta do it.

Serena said...

I also like when the kids cook with me, but of course only if they are in the mood too. I love cooking too, and love the rainbow chicken recipe. Thanks. We spend less on groceries but I also shop at the mexican grocery stores, use coupons, and cook alot from scratch. So, I think what your spending is good if your not cooking alot from scratch.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I do cook most things from scratch. Maybe I just have extravagant taste.

Serena said...

THe mexican markets have cheap fruit, vegetables, spices and herbs. We also have a Winco just down the street and they have a wide variety of items that you can decide how much you want and store. They also have cheeses from around the world that are cheap. We also buy in bulk at Sams club. Trader Joes always has sales. The Carnicerias also have meats and sea food that are real cheap.
Try those. You'll be in heaven with all the food you can make for cheap.

Nicole Shelby said...

i'm a self-proclaimed culinary necessitist. i'd love to love cooking...but have yet to develop a passion for the time it takes. i just don't think about it.

that being said, i love when i've made something good (for your body and 'buds) and the family gets happy about it.

as far as shopping goes: i've found that we do much better when i maintain a list on the fridge, and tj does the vast majority of the shopping. he's good at it and enjoys it. grocery shopping is a system that he is constantly tweaking and refining to get the best thing for the best deal.

and we rarely/never buy produce from a grocery store. we love farmer's markets stores (right now: Vine Ripe). The fruits and veggies in a Ralphs or Albertson's just isn't the same quality - it's not local, it has to be shipped who knows how many miles, so has to be picked who know how longbefore optimal ripening, usually more expensive. so, goodfresh food we feel isworth the extragas.

good luck...keep on refining.