Thursday, January 3, 2008

Projects and the Princess

In case you’re wondering why I didn’t write an entry for New Year’s Day, I spent that evening reviewing my goals and planning what I want to do differently in the coming year. Most of my goals are fairly straightforward: Arrive at meetings/appointments five minutes early if appropriate; Ponder and study a different temple covenant each month on Sundays; Post a new recipe on our website each Wednesday. I’m confident that I can meet those goals, but I set another one that has me worried.

I have so many projects that I am anxious to get to, so I decided it was time to make a plan for dealing with them. I rearranged my chore schedule so I can devote Joy’s afternoon naps to projects on Thursday and Friday. I’m excited about the prospect of tackling so many things that I want to do, but my enthusiasm is dampened a little when I remember that all my past efforts to set aside leisure time have failed. It’s tempting to think that this attempt will fare no better, but I think my plan is workable and I’m determined to try it.

I also want to find time to read more books, but so far I have no specific time set aside (my only stipulation is "Not when I'm supposed to be taking care of Baby"). My goal is to read at least one book a month, and my first selection is something light and fun that I've been meaning to read for a while: A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (who also wrote The Secret Garden). I'll probably post a review of it later this month, so if you want to read along and share your thoughts, you're more than welcome. No pressure, though.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

"The Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess" are two of my favorite books. I have probably read each one a least 6 or 7 times. Now you are inspiring me to get my copies out.

Finding time as a mother to do the things you want will always be a challenge for me. I try to take the "Success is in the journey" attitude. Good luck. I am looking forward to your recipes!

Cathy said...

Joy still takes afternoon naps? Oh, much-blessed Kim!

I do feel very lucky that my two children are pretty well synchronized and usually nap at the same time, which means I can rest (needed while incubating number three). Getting anything done...well, that's another story!

Somehow, I'll probably find time to read along with you because A Little Princess is an old favorite.

Maybe I need to give myself credit--I do have our taxes nearly completed. It may seem strange coming from your old English major friend, but I really like doing taxes.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I rediscovered "The Secret Garden" a year or two ago, and it became a favorite. Somehow, when I read it as a child I didn't really appreciate how magical it was (but then, I don't think children fully appreciate childhood, either). When I learned that the same author wrote "A Little Princess," I knew I had to read it.

Cathy, I am indeed grateful that Joy is still taking double naps. I dread the day she stops, though I'm sure I'll muckle through somehow.

Nicole Shelby said...

Admirable goals all.
Plan for projects - excellent.

Burnett is a wonderful author.

I way surpass your one book a month goal...so, actually one of my goals is to cut back a little...and absorb more and be more specific.

you'd probably also enjoy "An Old Fashioned Girl" by Louisa May Alcott - far and away one of my favorites.

Hope 2008 brings you much happiness and "joy"!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Nicole, I've been meaning to read Alcott's "Little Women" for some time; maybe I'll have to read "An Old Fashioned Girl," too. It's always interesting to read the books that fellow-readers love.