Thursday, June 7, 2007

Dad Cards

I was shopping for Father’s Day cards today, and was a little troubled that so many cards I saw portrayed fathers as lazy, flatulent beer guzzlers whose lives revolve around golfing or their TV remote. There were a few sentimentally wholesome cards, but the vast majority I saw were sort of insulting to fatherhood and men in general. They were kind of funny, but kind of not.

I wonder what Freud would say about those cardmakers' parent-child relationships.

Bizarrely, one of the few cards that was funny without being demeaning was a Father's Day card from the family dog (there were at least a dozen Father's Day cards from dogs or cats--no parrots, alas).

4 comments:

Phillip said...

That's really sad. It probably is a reflection of conditions in society, since not many people would buy a card like that without feeling that it was at least somewhat true.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

And you don't see nearly so many negative cards about mothers. I wonder why people are more willing to disrespect dads than moms?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Maybe it's the whole 'males are inferior' type of attitude that seems to be getting around these days. I think in certain circumstances society just kind of expects less from men than from women, at least as far as being a good, upstanding moral example.

That attitude makes me nuts, actually. Stupid society.

Debbie said...

I think it is funny that Phillip is reading and commenting on his own card... :)