Sunday, June 10, 2007

Spinning at Huntington

I own a spinning wheel. Lest you doubt my veracity, here's photographic evidence.

Before you pick yourselves up off the floor, I should probably also mention that I belong to a spinning guild. Yes, such things do exist in the 21st century. Crazy, huh?

Mostly we just gather at some member's house each month to spin, chat, and eat. Sometimes we also give educational demonstrations, and today was such a day.

Our guild was invited to the Huntington Library's Herb Garden for their annual Fiber Arts Day. There were weavers, dyers, and us spinners with our wheels.


I actually brought a little drop spindle instead of my wheel, partly because it was more portable, but also because I wanted to show how people around the world spun before the spinning wheel was invented between 500 and 1000AD.

Ironically, I love guild meetings even more now that I'm a mom and have less time to spin. Seeing all the fun projects my friends are working on inspires me to try to fit a little creative time in among all my tasks and responsibilities. It does the soul good to create something now and then, whether it be a scarf, a scrapbook, or (in Phillip's case) a database program.

6 comments:

CJ said...

Looks like you are the youngest member in the guild!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Yup - most of the members have grandkids.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Oh, Rosie! How I miss her soothing shushing noise. :) And oh, how seeing the spinning wheel (and hearing about your hand spindle) brings back memories of koolaid-flavored wool. Good times. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I still have some red wool that smells faintly of tropical punch.

Christian said...

I didn't even live in your house and I miss that spinning wheel: watching it would put me in a trance-like state. It's like some kind of wood and wool Zen machine.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.