Sunday, June 17, 2007

Laundry in the Crib

It's been a crazy week. I somehow managed to schedule every possible appointment into four consecutive days, and consequently my domestic to-do list is now a mile long. Our apartment looks like it was hit by two-and-a-half tornadoes. Remember that "Deal with It Tomorrow" pile? Yeah, it's still sitting there. Sigh.

By contrast, I attended a Father's Day gathering today at my Aunt Lindi's home. We dined upon dilled salmon and mascarpone tarts while we admired the simple-yet-elegant centerpieces. It seemed a world away from the semi-controlled chaos that is my life . . . that is, until I went upstairs to use her changing table. When I reached the nursery, I found a disorderly stack of papers on the bookshelf (which I can totally relate to), and a huge pile of dirty laundry in the crib. When Aunt Lindi came up to check on us, she apologized for the clothes, saying she just hadn't had time to take care of them yesterday.

No apology needed--that pile of laundry was one of the best parts of the visit for me. Much as I enjoyed the food and decor downstairs, I think what I needed most was the reminder that even domestic goddesses don't live effortlessly immaculate lives. We're all fighting the same battles against piles and messes, with mixed success.

1 comment:

Jodi Jean said...

what an interesting place to put laundry

motherhood is not easy, heck you should see my piles of dirty dishes and laundry and i need to vacuum something fierce (which you think i would do considering aidan is now mobile) hmmm... it's just hard