Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Reflection on Six Months of Motherhood

At this time six months ago I was laying in a hospital bed, staring at a little, swaddled baby in the bassinet next to me. She had been part of my life for the last nine months, but I knew virtually nothing about her except that she seemed very curious about her new circumstances. As I watched her gaze intently around the room, I thought of a line from the Christmas carol Phillip and I sang at FHE the night before: "wondrous little stranger."

Truthfully, this new addition to our little family seemed like a stranger for the first few weeks. I'd never been one of those females that felt irresistibly drawn to anything in a onesie, and suddenly I found myself responsible for a little person I didn't know how to relate to. At first all she did was sleep (most of the day), cry (most of the night), eat (both), and dirty an astonishing number of diapers. Things that were formerly very simple, like running to the store for cereal, had now become prohibitively complicated. I still remember the time I went to Rite Aid and just carried her with me in one arm--no stroller, no car seat, no blanket to keep out the December chill, just some swiftly weakening new mom muscles. People looked at me like I was insane. I probably was.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, Joy and I got to know each other, and I somehow evolved from an anxious, overwhelmed basket case into (of all things) a relatively capable mom. It's now hard for me to imagine a time when Joy was not part of our family. I've gotten used to my schedule revolving around hers, and to carrying two tons of baggage whenever we travel. I'm still amazed at how easily I learned to speak cutsie baby-talk and make an infinite variety of silly faces and sounds. I live for Joy's smiles and giggles, and I love lying on a blanket with her just watching the leaves sway in the breeze outside. When naptime is over, Phillip and
I sometimes have a hard time agreeing who gets to be first to go in and see her smile, and to give her a cuddle when we get her out of bed.

Joy may have seemed like a stranger to me when she arrived, but she's since become family in every sense. I feel so very grateful that the Lord sent such a sweet, patient little person to join our family. May we be as much a blessing to her as she has already been to us.

8 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

wow, beautiful

Kerri said...

This really was nice to read. Thank you for sharing things that we all need to remember!

I love the Rite Aid story. It reminded me of a time when I was sitting on a tiny little stool facing a corner at Barnes and Noble trying to nurse Tyler when he was a newborn. It was probably my first VERY public nursing scene (and one of my last). I think everyone in the store decided to browse the books right by me and gave me looks like I didn't know what I was doing (which was true). I guess not everything comes naturally to us!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Fortunately we eventually get the hang of things if we stick with them.
At least, that's my experience so far. I'm amazed that so many things which once seemed overwhelming and complicated have now become second nature. It gives me hope for the future, which I'm sure isn't going to get any simpler. :)

Nicole Shelby said...

Kimberly - isn't it strange? but great - plus getting new ideas on how
to be better mothers...and wives... my close relationship with my
mother and my sisters is the most wonderful and sweet association (aside of
course from the big one)...you can be silly and serious...

Quick aside: how did you get into spinning?

CJ said...

Very sweetly written in true mom form! I'm glad you're getting the hang of things. For me, many things about being a mom that once seemed overwhelming and complicated, are still overwhelming and complicated. But then I've always been a late bloomer and a slow learner. I'm sure I'll get it. Georgia didn't start on solids until she was about 9 1/2 months because I was scared to death she would choke. I finally had to give in when the doctor pointed out how she hadn't gained weight for 3 months and she'd probably die of starvation before she died from choking. :) I was scared to death the first time I handed her a cheerio.

It's true though, somehow they weasle thier way into your heart and make all of the struggle and frustration so worth it.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Joy's doctor gave her the green light for solid food earlier this week. I bought her some rice cereal days ago, but I haven't even had the nerve to open it yet.

Anonymous said...

Okay, not that I have ANY experience as far as this is concerned--I still don't hold babies for fear of breaking their jelly necks--I can certainly relate to the "overwhelming and then not so much" feeling. When I started that master's program, I calmed my panic by comparing it to making nails. An apprentice blacksmith first has to make a lot of nails, and pretty nasty ones at that, before learning to make horseshoes or hinges. Of course, raising a person is probably a lot more like trying to make a security door for your first go, but you get the idea.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I hear you. Just tonight, I was talking with a few moms about our misadventures battling cradle cap (baby dandruff). I had heard that you should rub oil into the baby's scalp, but I didn't realize it should be baby oil. Not only did canola oil not fix the problem, it made Joy smell funny for about a week.

Another mom tried Vaseline, with similar un-results.