Monday, October 8, 2007

Conference Reflections

Conference weekend has come and gone again. I’m still trying to process everything, but one thing I will say is that I love the calling of Henry B. Eyring to fill President Faust’s seat in the First Presidency. He embodies all the qualities I so loved in President Faust: gentleness, dignity, and messages that always resonated deeply with me.

I must also say that the most memorable talk of the conference was Elder Wirthlin’s on Saturday afternoon. Halfway through his talk he suddenly began trembling terribly, yet he continued on for five or ten more minutes, determined to finish his message. Elder Nelson (who is a doctor) came to his aid immediately, and stood protectively by his side until the end of his talk. The principle Elder Wirthlin felt was so important to teach was Christ-like love, and I can think of few more powerful lessons on it than the image of those two apostles side by side: one feeble and trembling, yet determined to teach us a crucial truth; the other tall and strong, eager to both protect and support his friend

6 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Yes! I too was so touched by that simple gesture I hardly paid any attention to his words.

When I served my mission, President Hinckley visited the people of that land. His traveling companion was the most junior apostle--Elder Eyring. I have never been in such uplifting meetings. When I see those men with such love and tenderness, it makes me proud to be a Christian.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Um . . .let me revise that last sentence. It came out all wrong. When I see men with such love and tenderness, the spirit tells my heart I am in the right place. I guess that happy, swelling feeling kind of matches pride a little bit, but it isn't the same at all.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Kim, I'm 100% with you about Elder Wirthlin's talk. I had to work until just when the second session was starting, so I decided to watch conference from my laptop in a corner of the library where I work. When Elder Wirthlin started to shake badly, I almost couldn't stand watching it, although I wanted to, because the message was so powerful. Then, when Elder Nelson stood and supported Elder Wirthlin, I couldn't keep from crying. At length. It was such a powerful example of the very principles Elder Wirthlin was talking about: pure love and service motivated by that love. It was both heart-wrenching and beautiful.

Natalie said...

Yes! What a touching conference moment!

Desmama said...

I also cried when Elder Nelson assisted Elder Wirthlin. It was a gentle yet powerful reinforcement of the very topic at hand. And I loved Elder Eyring being called for the very reasons you mentioned--he is such a kind, dignified, gentle reminder of what it means to lead a good life. My husband has particularly fond memories of Elder Eyring and his family in the MTC learning Spanish when my husband was there (ten years ago). When, a few years later, he saw Elder Eyring in the BYU Bookstore, he approached him and told him about his experience learning alongside him. Elder (now President) Eyring was so gracious and asked DesDad where he served, etc. We've always had a fond place in our hearts for him.

Caitlin said...

Usually people are all over the place when I ask them which Conference talk touched them the most. It seems to be near unanimous that Elder Wirthlin's talk left a lasting impression on most of us. It was amazing to see that although his body was weak, his spirit was strong and he was on the Lord's errand. His message was so beautiful. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it too.