Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Nature vs Nurture in the Pumpkin Patch

Our little family went to pumpkin patch together for the first time last night. Last year I just bought a couple pumpkins at the grocery store, and the year before that we were newly-minted newlyweds with too many boxes to unpack to deal with frills like jack-o-lanterns. I'm glad we all went together this year--it's just one of those family tradition-type things that makes me happy.

Speaking of family traditions, it’s interesting--when I was growing up, my dad always selected tall pumpkins because he likes carving long, thin faces. When Phillip picked up one short, squat pumpkin after another last night, I found myself thinking, “Wait—daddies are supposed to like tall pumpkins! Something’s wrong with this picture!” I quickly realized how illogical this train of thought was, but deep down, part of me still can’t figure out why there’s no tall pumpkin on our porch.

2 comments:

Serena said...

Me too, with the Christmas tree. My dad always took us to the Christmas tree farm and we all would pick out a tree and help my dad cut it down. With Alex he just wants to go to home depot and pick one out at a decent price. haha. It shows each man has his own preference.

Nicole Shelby said...

I think you and I are both just lucky that we have husbands who WANT to go with the family to a pumpkin patch.I think it is a rare and wonderful man who does.