Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Happy Blog Unmasks Fallacy

I stumbled across an interesting blog today. It's called The Happiness Project, and the author has set a personal goal to try practically every existing theory, principle, and tip for increasing happiness, then report what works for her and what doesn't. Interesting idea. I might just choose a few promising theories and try it myself.

Today's THP post particularly resonated with me. She discusses the "arrival fallacy" - the assumption that we'll finally be happy if we can just attain or achieve a certain thing. That future-focus blinds us to sources of happiness in the present, and it overlooks the fact that our desired achievement (be it a baby, a job, or even just getting your little apartment clean) often brings with it not blissful euphoria but additional responsibilities (e.g caring for baby, learning new job skills, or KEEPING the apartment in its pristine condition). As the saying goes, life doesn't get "better"- it just gets different. Moral of the story: enjoy the journey.

5 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I sent an email to a friend yesterday along these lines. But I WOULD like to add that life doesn't get easier, it gets better. Those additional responsiblities, particularly if they are things of worth can bring wonderful blessings.

Nicole Shelby said...

hmmm...true, and some things to think about...thanks ms. kimberly bluestocking...

Serena said...

My theory is too just love, love, love, love over anything and everything for each person in the family. I'm going to heaven with love not a clean house or perfect score on service, visiting teaching, education, coolest car, biggest house, biggest bank account,liked the most,best church position, or the most righteous, because if I focus on that too much I won't be happy. hahah

Caitlin said...

This is such an interesting way of looking at things. I agree with STM, life does get better.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Here here. I suppose childhood was technically easier than adulthood, but I sure wouldn't want to go back. Greater challenges do indeed bring greater rewards.