Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Making Memories

At FHE tonight, Phillip shared an article from the Ensign entitled “The Joy of Nurturing Children.” It contained messages from several people about their experiences raising children, and Phillip said that a statement in one of the sections particularly reminded him of me: “We no longer make messes; we make memories.” I still struggle to embrace the chaos sometimes, especially when it involves dirt or spilled food. For that very reason, I’m grateful for the reminder that creating positive, fun memories together is far more important that keeping everyone clean all the time.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

I struggle with that balance as well. I try to stick with "tidy" instead of "spotless." Besides- "spotless" doesn't sound very fun!

PS- I laughed out loud upon seeing Joy's sandy snitters (that is the word my grandma uses) at the park. Also, the pigtails were so cute. One of my first thoughts upon finding out that we were having a girl was "Oh my goodness! I am hair challenged! How can I have a girl when I can't even french braid! Isn't that a prerequisite?"

Jodi Jean said...

true true, we all need a little reminder sometimes. it seems the past few times we've gone to my parent's home aidan heads straight to the back yard and proceeds to dump handfuls and buckets of dirt on his head and we have to give him a bath. but he's having fun, so i have to just learn that i need to bring an extra outfit and it will be okay!

Serena said...

I agree. The hard part is when people are sooo judge mental.ahahha. If my house isn't spotless when Alex's family comes over. Oh, my you better run. Talk about them needing to get a life. When you have kids life is going to get messy. They learn through play and mess. I have changed alot of things so when they do come over from now on, there is nothing to see unless you deep search. hahahaha.

Nate said...

Yes I think Alissa has already resigned herself to this fate...and we don't have a baby to pick up after! Ha!

Be well...