Monday, April 28, 2008

One Answer To The Vine Question

A couple posts back I said I didn't understand how to tap into the Savior's power in my life. Since then I've been praying a lot to learn about that, and I expected to receive some sort of logical, intellectual answer. The Lord had other plans.

It was my turn to teach a lesson in Young Women today, and going into it I was very nervous. I have a firm grasp of Church doctrine, but I struggle to explain it in ways that twelve-year-old girls will connect with. My students listen politely, but often with glazed expressions indicating that every word I utter is sailing right past them.

As I prepared this week's lesson I made a conscious and prayerful effort to make it more interactive. Going into it today, I knew my plan was better than usual, but I also knew that my limited teaching skills alone wouldn't be enough to deliver it effectively. I needed help. Lots of it. I prayed earnestly and often for the Spirit's guidance, then I went to class trusting that the God who called me to this assignment would help me fulfill it.

He didn't let me down. The lesson was by no means spectacular, but the girls stayed engaged throughout and there was an atmosphere of cheerful peace rather than the awkwardness I have become far too familiar with. I have rarely been so keenly aware of the difference between clumsily struggling to do something on my own, and smoothly and cheerfully doing it with the Lord's help. Doing it on your own is like trying to eat a frozen pizza that is only halfway thawed--it's hard and not nearly as enjoyable as it would be if you followed the Maker's instructions.

Circling back to the vine analogy, today I learned one way that connecting to the Savior blesses our lives. We ask the Father for help, but He allows His Son, Who knows us so well and has experienced everything we face, to give us the blessings we need. Today when I recognized that I couldn't teach effectively on my own and pled for divine help to make up the difference, Christ knew exactly what I needed and blessed me beyond my expectations. This morning I believed He could help me; now in a small way I know it.

1 comment:

Jodi Jean said...

there you go, ask and it shall be given. isn't that amazing??