Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Embrace the Chaos

Today's not-so-favorite moments included:

. . . cutting a cookie recipe in half, but forgetting to halve the flour. You know a cookie recipe is good if you double the flour and the dryish result is still pretty tasty.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . listening to Josh Groban sing O Holy Night. I think that song is the king of Christmas carols, and Groban sings it like an angel.

And another thing . . .

. . . I've decided to put my not-so-favorite moments before my favorite ones in each post. Better to end on a good note.

. . . I've noticed that most of the stress in my life stems from the fallacious assumption that children behave in an efficient manner. For example, I wrongly expect that we'll walk directly from the car to our front door, that bedtime potty breaks will be expeditious affairs, and that articles of clothing will be donned in rapid succession with no pausing to roll around on the bed or pretend one is a farm animal. My life is much less stressful when I just accept that toddlers move at half-speed, with many detours. Sometimes the detours are more fun than the main journey, if I remember to embrace the chaos rather than resisting it.

No comments: