Monday, December 13, 2010

Good Mixer, Bad Parent

Today's not-so-favorite moments included:

. . . trying to calculate half of 2-1/4 cups of flour (with 1/4 of the result being whole wheat flour), while my toddler cried a few feet away because I banished her from the kitchen for getting into things while I baked her birthday cupcakes. Sometimes it's really hard to tell whether I'm tenaciously teaching important life principles or just making needless mountains out of molehills.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . baking bread with my new Bosch mixer, and finding that it really does knead so well that you only have to let it rise once. Awesome.

2 comments:

Connie H said...

Kimberly, I have a bosch mixer that I don't love so much yet. Any secrets you would like to share.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Yesterday was my first (and second) experience using my new Bosch, and I'm still deciding what I think of it. My initial impression is that it would be very helpful for making large batches of things, but it struggles to effectively mix the single or half batches I tend to make.

That said, it's very nice to knead bread dough for six minutes with the dough hook, then shape it and bake it after a single rise of 20 minutes or so. I may try kneading with my KitchenAid's dough hook to see if I can achieve similar results. If I can, I may return the Bosch and stick with my KitchenAid until my family gets big enough to eat double batches of bread and cookies. :)