Friday, July 27, 2007

Book Review - #7

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've spend the last couple days hanging out with a guy named Potter. Harry Potter. Maybe you've heard of him.

I'd have to say this final book is my favorite one of the bunch. It is suspenseful, sometimes heart-wrenching, and above all fascinating to see how Rowlings weaves old and new elements together into complex yet captivating story. It always surprises me how minute details and events from past books are later revealed to have enormous importance.

I think one of the most brilliant things about Rowlings' work is the balance she strikes between imperfection and inspiration. The characters’ human foibles make them both engaging and unpredictable, yet the values those imperfect protagonists strive to emulate are inspiring: family, loyalty, compassion, duty, faith.

Interestingly, the final chapters made me very grateful for the Resurrection. Whether we die young or live full lives, it is comforting to know that if we live right we will eventually find rest and be reunited with those we love.

2 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I must say that I, as you are aware, agree with you completely on your opinion of the book.

And I love the way Harry feels a sense of peace in the last few chapters that are unrivaled anywhere else in the series. It's comforting.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I know what you mean. I'd elaborate, but I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't read it yet.