Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - we've been out of town at a family reunion for the past week, and internet reception was hard to come by in Georgia's backcountry. Enough excuses - on to the post.

I've noticed that I write a lot about being happy and positive these days. It's not because I'm particularly good at being those things; rather, I wish I were better. I suppose that deep down I believe if I study and ponder cheerfulness enough, it will come easier to me. When I hang around positive, friendly people I find those virtues rub off on me a bit, so maybe positive thoughts will have the same effect. Or perhaps through continual research I'll discover the key that unlocks wells of good cheer within us.

Yeah - I don't think it will be that simple, either. Nevertheless, I can't resist trying. As previously stated, I like positive people and the effect they have on me, and I'd like to be that kind of blessing to others, especially my family. My baby daughter smiles so much, and I want to encourage her to keep doing it. Of course, the best way to teach is by example . . .

2 comments:

Nicole Shelby said...

I agree. I am naturally a very mellow chick...but I see the value of optimism...gratitude...and happiness. How many times in the scriptures are we commanded/exhorted/encourage to be happy? Can't even count. The prophet promotes happiness...And I agree it can be learned...it can be absorbed...it can be shared.
Simplifying our life has made a huge difference for me. Cutting out the excess to focus on what truly matters to me and to my family. It's hard to hear what speaks to my soul...when I have too many things clamoring for attention. There is power in peace and joy and gratitude and happiness.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Nicole. I particularly like what you said about simplifying. I think most of the stress in my life comes from trying to do too much, and as you say, when you're crazy busy it's hard to tune in to what really matters.