Saturday, July 21, 2007

Define "Accomplish"

Update on the bonking: I've been making brief to-do lists and trying to accept my limits, which seems to be helping. However, I often find that I'm busy all day, yet don't feel I accomplish much. I think I've finally figured out why: my definition of “accomplishing” no longer applies in my current situation.

I used to assume that finishing meant you completed a project, then set it aside forever as you moved on to something new. As a student, I finished papers, then finished classes, then finished my degrees, and so on. I also finished my mission, and finished my quest for eternal companionship.

Life isn’t so linear now that I’m a stay-home mom. The things I finish each day (study scriptures, play with Baby, tidy up, make dinner, hug husband, etc.) are right back on my to-do list the next morning. By my old definition of progress, I don’t seem to be getting anything done because I never move on to the "next thing." The new circular arrangement isn’t necessarily bad, but I need to adjust my mindset if I want to stop having weekly meltdowns.

4 comments:

CJ said...

That's actually a great definition of "the mom funk" (as I like to call it). I'd never thought of it that way... the whole circular thing and not truly accomplishing for good. I think that is probably a very likely reason for why many of us new moms feel the way we do. I found that I lost something of my identity when I went from being a go-go student to a stay at home mom. It has been an ongoing struggle for my new "mommy identity" to surface and for me to figure out what to base my worth on now that I don't have immediate A's at the top of my papers and such.

Thanks for sharing this thought.

Lisa said...

I think this also goes along with how the world defines accomplishment, and why mothers don't often get the credit they deserve. Maybe it's another test for us, to understand how being parents is one of the most important and awesome responsibilities we can have, without the world constantly giving us praise for what we do. I like the way you worded things.

Debbie said...

I know exactly how you feel! I like to call it "the never ending story"...."here I go, working on the never-ending story"...but I can't complain...I have way more fun doing all these things with Matthew than I ever would working!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I know how you feel, Debbie. Baby grins and giggles are way more fun than writing essays or sitting on hold at work. :)

I hope I never forget that.