Friday, July 13, 2007

Della's Glass is More than Half Full

There is truly power in perspective.

My friend Caitlin Calder has a baby daughter named Della who is about Joy's age. Della has struggled with some serious health problems. The doctors still aren't quite sure what her ailment is, but they know it's serious. At best, it is a metabolic disorder than could cause physical and mental handicaps; at worst it is a degenerative disease. As I read this on the Calder blog today, I felt deeply saddened. I found myself, like Caitlin, "mourning the loss of the future they had hoped for their child."

The last paragraph of her post left me with a different perspective, though. Caitlin wrote about Della's calm, loving spirit. How affectionate she is. How lucky they are to have her in their lives. By the time I finished reading, I was left not with a sense of tragedy, but of awe and gratitude that the Calders have been blessed with a daughter like Della.

3 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

wow, amazing

you've been tagged!!!

Caitlin said...

Hi Kimberly. You are so kind to write that last post about our family. I am glad that Della's situation has touched others the way it has touched me. It brings me such a wonderful feeling of sisterhood knowing that the feelings of a mother transcend all boundaries of socioeconomic status, age, religion, education level, place, and even time. I enjoy reading your blog because it is both from one mother to another but more importantly from one woman to another. I hope you continue to write about your thoughts and daily struggles that we all face as we try to raise children who are in the world but not of the world. I will try to post more updates about Della. We have gotten more hopeful during the past few days. I guess when you expect the worse, any good news is just that, good news.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks, Caitlin. I started writing this blog in the hope that it would be uplifting or at least intersting to others. I'm glad to know it's lifted you a bit. I enjoy reading yours, too.