Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bless His Husband Heart

Morning sickness was an absolute bear today. My head hurt, my stomach constantly threatened rebellion, and I had zero energy. I could barely lift myself off the sofa. Since most other days of this pregnancy have gone just fine, I really, REALLY hope today's trauma was a fluke.

As the time drew near for Phillip to leave for his morning train, he asked if I needed him to stay home. I desperately wanted him to, but I knew he had a lot on his plate today. I asked how badly he needed to attend class, and he responded that he could watch it remotely and it sounded like I really needed him to do that. With tears in my eyes I hugged him and thanked him for staying to help me. Bless his husband heart.

I am glad to report that things gradually got better, and by late afternoon I was back to my usual self. I regret that this morning's misery complicated Phillip's day so much, but I’ve noticed that his choice to stay and help me has drawn us closer together. We are both so busy much of the time that we sometimes spend hours working on separate activities in the same room. While that is an efficient use of time, if we do it too often it can sap the unity and closeness from our relationship.

By contrast, Phillip’s service to me today increased our love and affection for each other. It reminds me of a recent quote we read from President Hinckley: “Tremendous happiness and peace of mind are the results of loving service to others. Nobody can live fully and happily who lives only unto himself or herself.”

5 comments:

Serena said...

How sweet, that Philip stayed. Isn't being pregnant fun? Lol. Men have no idea.Lol. Oatmeal helps alot for upset stomachs and when you don't have any energy. It's not a craving. But, afterwards you'll feel better.

Jodi Jean said...

that's so sweet! how nice that he could do that for you.

i hope this morning was a fluke too ... UGH!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

What a sweet tribute. I hope you feel better soon.

Desmama said...

Having just been through this (and some days, it makes an encore appearance), i do feel for you and am so glad your husband helped you out. Here's to hoping your energy returns quickly!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I love the thought that sacrificing a little for each other can actually increase your love & affection.

That's a beautiful idea.