Sunday, July 6, 2008

I'm Back, Again

No, I didn't have second thoughts about resuming my blog. We moved to a new apartment last month, then our computer died shortly after my last post. We've spent the ensuing weeks trying to settle in and replace our old computer, during which time I only had computer access when Phillip was home and not using his laptop. In the rare event that those criteria coincided I spent every spare minute working or journaling (because I'm a compulsive, extensive journaler, and apparently I can't bring myself to hand-write entries if there is any remote possibility I can type them).

Now that life is back to normal I look forward blogging more. I actually have something on my mind that I want to post about, but I'm still mulling it over a bit. I'm sure it will make its debut soon, for better or worse. In the meantime, here's a delicious quote from Nathaniel Hawthorne (from a letter to his wife) about his introduction to farm work at Brook Farm:

"After breakfast, Mr. Ripley put a four-pronged instrument into my hands, which he gave me to understand was called a pitch-fork; and he and Mr. Farley being armed with similar weapons, we all three commenced a gallant attack upon a heap of manure. This affair being concluded, and thy husband having purified himself, he sits down to finish this letter to his most beloved wife. Dearest, I will never consent that thou come within a half mile of me, after such an encounter as that of this morning. Pray Heaven that this letter retain none of the fragrance with which the writer was imbued."

4 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

i'm glad you're back, i've been missing updates!

that quote is hillarious, i always find it interesting how writers describe the most mundane things!

Cathy said...

"Imbued"--such a good word! This reminds me of how I feel after chopping onions or doing ANYTHING with garlic. Good thing my Edward isn't a vampire...although I guess that my dislike of garlic would tend to make me better suited than otherwise!

Cathy said...

And since the comments show the date they're posted, I might as well say it here: Happy July 9th and all it signifies!
I hope your next decade is as meritorious as this one has been. Think of all the amazing things it has brought: Philip, Joy, your mission, college experiences, learning to spin, theses, and a great deal of growth through them all (and through lots of small moments and choices too). I admire you, love you, and am so glad to count you as my dear friend.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks, Cathy. I love you, too. Thank you for always lifting me higher.