Sunday, July 13, 2008

Prego Q & A

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. In response to your questions about the due date, my first OB appointment is this coming week, so I don't have a firm date yet. It will probably be around February or March, though.

As for how I'm feeling, morning sickness has been mercifully mild this time. During my first pregnancy every food on earth sounded revolting with one exception, and that exception changed often and without warning ("Quick! Chinese food sounds good! Let's go get some before my stomach changes its mind!!"). I soon learned not to take lunches to work because by the time my lunch break rolled around I had no desire to eat whatever I'd brought.

This time, my stomach often feels slightly unsettled, but not so much that I don't feel like eating. My appetite also isn't as finicky as it was last time (though, come to think of it, Chinese food DOES sound pretty good right now). I really, REALLY hope this is the worst I can expect during this pregnancy.

Actually, fatigue has been the toughest prego symptom to deal with this time. I remember that by the final weeks of my first pregnancy I could barely get out of first gear, but I don't recall being this tired at the beginning. Perhaps it's because I was sitting at a desk instead of raising a toddler. Before this pregnancy I was pretty good about exercising and taking Joy outside to play, but lately there have been far too many days when I just wanted to lay down on the futon and maybe read my daughter a board book now and then. It takes a major act of will to get us both outside for some fresh air.

Weariness aside, things are going well and we're excited to meet the new member of our family. I'm curious to see how our family dynamic we'll change, and I'm glad Joy won't get too used to being the center of our universe. Hopefully the transition won't be too rough for her. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I missed your last post! Congratulations! #2 went so much smoother for me than #1: better labor and delivery, easier nursing, mellow temperamented baby . . . before my little Patchy Pirate came along we were just a couple with a baby. Afterward, we were a family.

Scallywag, my oldest, was over three when Patchy was born and already very adept at independent play as well as having a great attention span for movies (helpful when nursing). He made the transition really smoothly, but I had to let him stop napping almost entirely*. That was the hardest on me I think.

*His age three tantrums seemed to coincide with both low blood sugar and a lack of continuous sleep at night. My pedi said that she thought threes did better with 12 hours of continuous sleep instead of naps and 8 or 9 at night. It was like magic for us when we switched his schedule around.

Jodi Jean said...

fatigue has been rough on me as well ... my advice take naps when joy does ... it'll keep your energy up. (oh and LOTS of wiggles for keeping aidan entertained when my body wants to be horizontal)

hopefully things stay easier

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

STM's comment about two children making a family is intriguing. I am very curious to see how child #2 will transform our family dynamic.

Serena said...

Congrats! I would take Joy to all the appointments and let her feel, and look at the monitors, and listen to the heart beat and have a sonogram picture of the baby that is just hers. Go shopping with Joy to get baby stuff, let her help out by picking stuff or getting a special toy for the baby, that is just from her. Read to her lot's of baby and brother and sister books. Get her some dolls, and play sets so she practice being a mommy, and big sister. Have her watch some shows on babies. Have fun!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! And in regard to the other post, I thought nobody was supposed to eat cookie dough anymore, and I never heard anything about not eating brie. Although, as much as I like brie, I don't eat it very often, so I don't suppose it ever mattered. I did avoid sushi with raw fish in it, and sushi is something I eat more often than brie.

The fatigue gets better I think.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

The fatigue gets better, until it gets worse. :)

The cookie dough rule stems from a small salmonella risk with the raw eggs (when I'm not expecting, I figure the treat is worth the small possibility of an upset stomach). Soft cheeses like Brie, blue, and feta can contain listeria and should be avoided unless you're sure they're made from pasteurized milk.

In both cases the risk of sickness is pretty tiny, but if I ate something iffy and it harmed my baby I'd have a hard time forgiving myself.