Monday, November 1, 2010

Chuckles and Sighs

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . Joy participating in the ward Primary program. She actually remembered her line (with a little prompting), but she didn't sing a word of the songs.

. . . a smile exchange while Joy was up in the front of the chapel. I noticed her looking at me, whereupon she smiled at me and I smiled back. Then she grinned, and I grinned, too. Then she made a super ugly frog face and I turned my attention back to the kid at the pulpit.

And another thing . . .

. . . voting is a vital right and a privilege, but I am eager for the election to be over. I'm sick of hearing harsh voices calling each other liars, and of wondering whether a proposition is truly worthwhile or whether the supporters just hired a really skilled publicist.

I think Americans agree on the fundamental things we want--good education, the means to support our family and afford a home, reasonably affordable healthcare--but the details of achieving those things are complicated, and it's hard to know which expert to listen to, and which politician is both willing and able to clear the road instead of blocking it.

Capitalism and democracy--they're messy, imperfect systems, but at this point they're the best we've got.

No comments: