Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Open Doors and Doggerel Ditties

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . Daniel calming down when I sing to him. I just sing little doggerel ditties about how much I love him and how cute his feet are, but I guess he finds their familiarity soothing.

. . . eating cashews. Sometimes they're just so good.

. . . Joy saying that some mint-chocolate cookies we made were "picey" (spicy). Years ago I visited Cathy's family, and when her young niece declared that a carbonated drink was "picey" I thought it was the cutest thing I'd ever heard. It made me smile to hear my own daughter use the same pronunciation all these years later.

. . . reading part of Luke 2 with Joy at scripture time. This afternoon she asked me to tell her a story about "people," so I told her about the shepherds who saw angels near Bethlehem when Christ was born. When I mentioned that the story was in the scriptures, Joy requested that we read it when we got home. We agreed to put our Book of Mormon reading on hold tonight and read from Luke 2 instead. It was sweet to read that marvelous story together.

Not-so-favorite moments:

. . . dozing off and having Joy awaken me with a poke to the nose.

. . . realizing that after I left the car door open for Joy to climb out in our parking spot, I never got around to closing it. Fortunately, a perceptive neighbor apprised me that my car door was still wide open . . . three hours later. Miraculously, my battery wasn't dead (yet).

And another thing . . .

. . . self-reliance was not a high priority among the Hendrickson kids today. Daniel's coming down with another little fever, so he wanted me to carry him everywhere, and when we came in from the car Joy was pretending she was blind and wanted me to lead her by the hand through the parking lot.

Also, it's hard to know how to classify the memory of rocking my toasty little boy this evening. I love cuddling and comforting him, but it's sad that he wasn't feeling well. Thank goodness for medicine to bring his fever down.

No comments: