Monday, July 11, 2011

Why Mealtime Freaks Me Out

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . helping Daniel learn to eat cottage cheese on his own. I realize that getting food everywhere is a natural part of learning to feed oneself, but it still pushes my freak-out button.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . when I asked my neighbor how he was doing, and he replied, "Pretty alright."

And another thing . . .

. . . I never considered myself a neat-freak before I had kids. I have an unfortunately high tolerance for clutter, and I'm a housekeeping minimalist (i.e. I like my house to look decent with a minimum of effort on my part). Today I realized that the latter may explain the apparent contradiction between my mild attitude toward cleaning and my not-so-mild response to mealtime messes. In short, since I don't like to clean, I really don't like avoidable messes that demand my attention (e.g. a glass of strawberry smoothie tossed on the floor, or cottage cheese dribbled everywhere because my son still likes to hold his spoon upside down).

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday a couple of days late!

I'm in So Cal for an indefinite period of time...fleeing smoke and heat in Los Alamos. Want to get together? I sent you an email since I don't have current contact info.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I just replied to your email. I'd love to get together if you have time before you go back.

Siobhan said...

I share the tolerance of clutter which I find has helped me out with the newborn. So there's stuff on the ground? Well, I haven't tripped on it, so I suppose it's alright for now. I fear that might also mean that I'll also be irritated by food messes in the near future...

I'm sending you good thoughts, though, and hope for cleaner mealtimes.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks. :)