Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Anonymity is Bliss

NPR recently interviewed members of the Sikh religion about their beliefs and the post-9/11 persecution some have experienced. Since male Sikhs are required to wear turbans they are often mistaken for Muslims, and following the September 11 attacks, the first person killed in retaliation in the U.S. was an Indian Sikh named Balbir Singh Sodhi. The interviewees on NPR said they are working hard to spread awareness about their religion, because they fear if another terrorist attack occurs, they will once again be targeted by people who think they are Muslims. (Incidentally, the second and third people murdered to "avenge" 9/11 were also non-Muslims. Apparently some Americans can be just as violently ignorant as the terrorists they vilify.)

At the end of the interview, one of the Sikhs agreed to wrap the reporter's head in a turban. Of course, none of his listeners could see the result, but he said he still felt very different. He's used to wearing clothes that let him blend in. Now all of a sudden he was wearing something he knew would draw lots of attention, and not necessarily the kind he would like. Even in the privacy of his studio, you could tell the idea made him a little nervous.

This episode got me thinking. I've never experienced serious prejudice, and I do a pretty good job of blending in most of the time (unless I'm in a classroom, in which case I speak up rather more than I should). I'm white, I'm 5-foot-something, I weigh one-hundred-and-something, and I wear clothes that are just interesting enough to not be totally bland. If I did decide to wear something that drew attention, it would probably be something pretty or fun, but still not too outlandish.

What if my beliefs required me to wear something that would draw everyone's attention wherever I went? What if it made some of those people suspect me, fear me, or hate me. The prospect gives me greater respect for people committed enough to their beliefs to wear a turban or veil in spite of the possible consequences.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often considered wearing a veil for just that reason. I would be very curious to see the reactions I would get. I still might do this one day because believe it or not, it actually makes you cooler on hot days. I veiled a couple of days when I was in Senegal and was amazed at the result.

Serena said...

I think we do go through those things each in our own way, even though it is not physically obvious. I am glad though that we can wear ours underneath our clothes, and that we do not have to endure severe persecution at this moment.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I had two mission comps who talked about having to wash their garments by hand and hang them in their rooms to dry so that there wouldn't be awkward and impossible conversations with mothers who wanted nothing to do with Mormonism.

The last night on my mission, I was sent on splits with a "companionship" that already consisted of three sisters. We got back to our flat about thirty minutes early and decided to drop in on a neighbor they had been fellowshipping. They were a Sikh family. Their sons wear their hair in a tiny bun atop the head. The family was outfitted in traditional gear and we shared a late night supper from a community bowl. One of my comps that night was Hawaiian American, a second was Fijian and the third was a New Zealand Maori. I felt such a feeling of serenity and spirituality as we built on common beliefs and felt the joy of family. I knew that one of the things I would miss the most from my time in Sydney was the diversity of culture and thought, and how open people felt about discussing religion with missionaries. I was right.

Plantboy and I lived in Houston for five years; during that time I taught at a middle school that was about 95% other than Caucasian; that statistic probably included the faculty! The first day I taught there I didn't see another white face until nearly lunch time. There were also no LDS teachers or students in our school. I caught a tiny glimpse there of what it meant to be in a minority. It was not easy, but I learned so much.

Again, we find ourselves surrounded by neighbors and potential friends who come from different backgrounds. I hope I am brave enough to step out of my comfort zone to once again find the joy that comes from learning to understand others and find commonalities anywhere we go.

President Hinckley gave a talk when I was in Australia about being a peculiar people. In a world that can be as wicked as ours, it is our beliefs and morality that will set us apart. When our children abstain until marriage, when our sons go on missions, when we have more than one child, when we stay in marriages for decades--these are things that our current culture cannot understand and more and more our people will be a beacon for the pure in heart and repugnant to those who would trivialize and destroy that which is sacred. Our world will be saved by the RIGHTEOUS Christians, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, Confuciousnists, Taoists and Hindus of this world.

CS Lewis advanced an interesting idea in one of his Narnia books about how righteous acts done in the name of a false God are still counted for righteousness, just as evil acts committed in the name of Christ are still counted for evil. The Lord looks on our hearts and there are good people to be found everywhere who will each have opportunity to accept the fullness of the gospel. What a fair and happy plan has been laid out for us!

I'm sorry that my comments on your blog often turn into posts. You give me much to think about. And I talk too much. :)

Risa West said...

9/11 was a horrible day...but the after effects for those of us in white communities, that are of a different race (even if it's only half) were horrible as well. i hope to someday forget things that were said to my sister and i for being "mexican & mormon" and forgive the person. always remember to stick up for the little guy.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Siobhan, I considered the same experiment, for the same reason (curiosity, not heat, though I wouldn't have guessed layers would keep you cooler).

Serena, I agree - I'm grateful we live in a time when our religion is more likely to be respected than persecuted. Though I must say, it's amazing how many people still think Mormons practice polygamy.

STM, as always, the comments are welcome; no need to apologize. I've heard diversity often leads to conflict in human society, but I think we need it more than the comfort of homogeneity. For one thing, variety is a lot more interesting. For another thing, people of different races, creeds, and cultures become a lot less intimidating if you have the chance to actually get to know some of them. Hopefully we'll take advantage of those opportunities when they come our way.

RWest, did people make those negative comments as a reaction to 9/11?