Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Time Well Spent . . . Sort Of

The temperatures in Southern California have been in and out of triple digits for the past week. We were enduring the heat as valiantly as possible with our little wall A/C unit, then fate (or the electric company) decided to kick us when we were down. The power in our apartment building went out last night, and stayed off through this whole, long, hot summer day. For all I know it's still off (rather than fire up the stove in our sauna-like apartment, we ate dinner out and then fled to my parents' home for the night).

In addition to sapping my strength and making me sweat profusely, the power outage presented me with an interesting dilemma. Since the computer was in a coma, I couldn't telecommute, blog, research infant-toddler car seats, or do practically anything else on my to-do list. So what to do with my time while baby napped? Of course - read! And which of the many tantalizing tomes did I pull from the shelf? "What to Expect the First Year," to read up on age appropriate baby feeding.

I am such a mom.

Don't despair, though. I've set aside Friday as my reading day, and though I haven't yet decided what book I'll choose, you can rest assured it won't have "What to Expect" in the title.

3 comments:

Chad said...

Oh my gosh! I feel your pain! We too lost power and we lasted only about 30 minutes. After the temperature jumped 15 degrees inside the house we piled into the car to find refuge from the heat. Like you, we went to my parent's house 1. because they had power and 2. because they can afford to keep their thermostat set at 74 degrees. We saw you pulling into your parent's driveway as we were leaving to go out to eat. Unless it was someone else visiting your family in a dark colored sedan with an infant car seat in the back.

I also spoke briefly to your grandmother on the phone and she is such a lovely woman!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

We had no AC in Northern Utah for late May, June and July. We hit a hundred a few of those days, but were well over 90 every day. We had a bit of reprieve from one or two a.m. until about nine every morning. That was it. And it was horrible. We mostly sat in front of the TV and the wall unit slurping down popsicles. Oh, and I had a newborn. Good times, good times.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Chad, we visited on Monday, too, and arrived just in time to see Caitlin's parents heading off to celebrate Beth's birthday. And yes, Grandma is a sweet lamb of a lady . . . until you bring up politics.

STM, I'm so glad you have moved to a home which (presumably) has A/C. Long live air conditioning!