Thursday, September 20, 2007

Shocking Language

My little family is pretty careful about the words we use. We eschew the major swear words, but there are also minor things like "butt" or "that sucks" that we just don't feel comfortable saying. We don't mind if YOU say them, of course, just as long as you don't mind that we don't. :)

Well, this morning I uttered a word that shocked my dear husband. We had disassembled our vacuum to replace a broken belt, and when I picked the lot up to move it across the room, a heavy part came loose and landed with a lout thud on our table. You know--the table we spent hours sanding yesterday so we could refinish it. The table that now has a vacuum-part-sized ding in its surface.

I grimaced and said, "Dang!"

Phillip raised his eyebrows. "What did you say?"

"I said, daNG." (I emphasized the nasal glottal on the end of the word, lest my dear husband think I'd said something really offensive).

Phillip's expression became very thoughtful. "Wow. I don't think I've heard you say that more than once or twice in our marriage."

So there you have it. I guess "dang" is about as edgy as we get in this household.

10 comments:

Risa West said...

that is so cute...you have inspired me!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I too have my own pet peeve words that I avoid that aren't even close to swear words, but I admit there are a few damns and hells around here. I also admit that I would have never used these choice expletives BEFORE my mission. In Australia, these two don't count as swear words where they are so common you even hear little kids say them they way they say "dang" and "heck" here. It is an entirely pitiful excuse, of course.

Serena said...

That's so funny. Alex ofcourse doesn't ever say anything, except for Mannn!!! hah. The rest of us have some work to do. Our most used phrase is What the Heck!! But that is soon to disapear since we have been hearing the kids say What the!! and then they leave it blank, which just to close to say hell. soo,. Our favorite phrase we have heard is from Lacey on So you think you can dance, Is Shut the front door!! Instead of the other phrase.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I was thinking about this the other day and I realized that in many ways the words we think of as swear words are pretty much just words we've all agreed are offensive. I realized that instead of say, the swear word that's a version of excrement, we could have all agreed that 'crap' was the really offensive one, or 'poop.' It's all arbitrary!

(But that doesn't mean I'm going to go off and become a potty mouth. Just so you know.)

Kerri said...

When I am really frustrated, I utter the phrase "Oh crap!". It is not something I am proud of, but it is a fact. I have had to really control myself these past few months as I have begun to hear Tyler exclaim, "Holy Trap!". Arthur and I chuckled for about 1 minute and then realized it was not something we really wanted our 3 year old saying. Now I have to give myself time-outs whenever I use the phrase to teach myself a lesson.

Natalie said...

Much worse things have been said over dings in a table. =) You can hold your head high.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Kerri, I don't know which is funnier: "Holy Trap!" or Mama Shek giving herself a time out. :) Kudos to you for holding everyone to the same standard.

Nicole Shelby said...

Ha Ha Ha! We too have quite the mellow home. We have "stupid" on our list...and Hannah has quite the ear...and moderates those around her...
Glad to see it still seems like all is well with your little family. I've been out of the bloggin' world for awhile...and have some catching up to do!
The baby is still so cute.
I have an awesome pic of you and P at S/A's wedding...send me your email address so I can shoot it to you!
Hope all is well!

Sarah said...

I've always suspected it, Kimberly. You are a total sinner.

Jodi Jean said...

hehe ... i need to get a lot better in my own language. im sure my hubby has heard much worse than "dang". you are an amazing example to all of us.

aidan is gonna start talking before i realize it, so ive been trying to be better. but its always good to know that others are doing the same. :P