Saturday, September 1, 2007

Still Life Meets Crazy Life

Last night Joy stayed with some friends while Mama and Daddy went out to dinner. The night was still young when we left the restaurant, so we decided to poke around the Barnes & Noble Bookstore a couple doors down. Books from countless genres called out to me as I strolled through the store, but it seemed most practical to use my gift card to expand Joy’s board book library (I find myself reading the same three or four books all the time). While Phillip skimmed a computer programming guide, I browsed through the board books, selected a couple I liked, then headed to the counter to make my purchase.

The plan was for me to pay for the books and then find Phillip in the computer section, whereupon we’d head for the train and home. However, on the way from the cashier to computerland I was waylaid by a book with a black cover. The photo on its jacket could have been a French still life from two centuries ago—red grapes, cheese, a meaty bone, and a mushroom. Above them were the words: The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. Ah, food, history, and pretentious vocabulary—three of my passions.By the time Phillip found me, I had read the entire introduction.

The author proposed some interesting ideas (which I promptly related to my longsuffering and rather tired husband as we walked to the train station), but what struck me most about the experience was how delicious it felt to read a book for sheer pleasure. These days, most of my reading carries with it a sense of duty and urgency. I keep up with friends’ numerous blog posts and try to think of meaningful responses to them. I feel it my responsibility to at least skim the news and wrestle with difficult questions it raises. I read the Ensign partly because I know I should, and I’m currently rushing through Psalms because I’m behind on my goal to read the standard works in a year (I’m considering ditching that goal—what’s the point of reading the scriptures if you go too fast to take anything in?). What’s more, all these literary liaisons are crammed into bits of spare time which could abruptly end at any moment if Baby wakes up.

Please don’t misunderstand me--I really do enjoy all this reading. However, the pleasure often has a rushed, even burdened feel to it, as if it is actually another task rather than a break from work.

I suppose this is just a variation on my recent theme of "Stop rushing to do so much stuff! Slow down and actually enjoy some of it!" Specifically, I think I need to take a little time each week to just read something I like.

Also, I think I'll forget the "scriptures in a year" goal for now and just read at my own pace.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I tend to read the same way. I try to read classics and books I feel like I can learn from and that can expand my vocabulary and literary knowledge. Every once in a while I'll be in the middle of one of those books, and then I'll pick up a light, easy, pleasure read, and I'll just devour it. I love it. I should probably allow myself to do that more often. You're so good at putting thoughts into words!

Your mentions of setting goals with the scriptures reminds me of President Hinckley's challenge to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of 2005. What do you think my husband and I were doing the last three and a half hours of the year? We skipped all the parties and speed read the Book of Mormon. I don't think that's quite what President Hinckley had in mind.

Natalie said...

The sentence that comes to mind is "Stop and smell the flowers!"

There are so many things that NEED to be done, but it feels so good to take the time to enjoy something that you love as well as take your time with some of the other things that are worthwhile pursuits. You don't want to step back and look at your life in a couple of years and see that you've been suffering from "white rabbit syndrome" (I'm late! I'm late for a very important date!) =)

Gee, I should really start listening to some of my own advice.

Anonymous said...

Books are good. I think you should read more of them. I also appreciate the three passions of yours...food, history, and especially pretetious vocabulary!

I have to say though, you cite one of the reasons that I am glad I do not have children. I love "Everybody Poops" and all, but frankly, the sci-fi military books are much more gripping. Ah well, this just means that I know now what to get you for Christmas!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

"White Rabbit Syndrome" - boy, that hit it right on the head.

I've actually reorganized my weekly schedule to make time for some pleasure reading. I'll try that this week and see how it goes. And trust me, Siobhan, I WON'T spend it reading "Everybody Poops." :)

Actually, I don't buy or read any children's books unless I enjoy them. It's only after I've decided that I like the story, wording, and illustrations that Joy gets to weigh in on my selections. Hey - I'm the one who has to read them for the next few years, right? Once Joy's literate, she can use her library card howsoever she may choose.

Speaking of which, Baby already has some definite opinions about books she likes. "Barnyard Dance" is a favorite, possibly because the words have a fun rhythm to them. On the other hand, "Drummer Hoff" rarely holds her attention more than a few pages. I suspect it's still too much talk and not enough action. Plus, Joy likes turning pages, and stiff board book pages are easier for her to maneuver than paper.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Good resolution.

After spending ALL my birthday money on my kids this year, my resolution is to NEVER do that again. Hey, every days is kids day.

I've lately been rereading a bunch of my old classics, deliberately, and with fresh eyes. Oh! What joy there is to be had in a really great book. As interesting as some modern books are, they will never stand the test of time.

Desmama said...

Thanks for the blog visit. I enjoyed this post and certainly agree with you on your points. I'm going to check out that book, too! It sounds interesting.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

In response to your question on my blog:

I've written a little of everything. In junior high I began filling notebooks with stories, or scenes from stories between characters. I've always been quite fascinated with dialogue.

Not long after I got married, I decided it was time to stop mucking around and really do some writing. Since then I've finished a couple of LDS romance novels and a novel based on the Ammonites of the Book of Mormon. I've also written all but a chapter or two of a fantasy book and have several starts on others.

I've submitted one of the romance novels for publication, but it wasn't taken. I've since edited it very heavily and may try again with it. I think, for the genre anyway, it is quite good. Very character driven with some snappy dialogue, but it might not be outlandish enough to get published into today's market. The characters and plot are very realistic--it may have happened to somebody that you know. The second romance novel needs some work; I'm not sure what yet, but I think it has a very interesting idea behind it and I've told various chapters from different viewpoints which is also interesting, but I don't know . . . it needs something.

The fantasy novel is the first thing I started (it is has been 7 years in the making) and I love it. It is the kind of thing I would have devoured as a young adult. The problem is my two missing chapters and that it is really bogged down in the middle. Also, I've lately been thinking it is actually the middle story of THREE, and while I have a good idea for the third story, it is the first I'm still not sure about.

Okay, this is ridiculously long, but last thing, the Book of Mormon novel I think has real potential. In fact, I sent it to Covenant books four months ago and I'm still waiting to hear if it will move forward. There are other LDS publishers, but I think Deseret Book is nearly impossible to get in with and Cedar Fort makes first time authors put up a big chunk of money for publishing.

Plantboy was the one who convinced me to send off manuscripts in the first place. He put it the best when he said, "You say that you are writing because you love it and it is a compulsion. Getting published or not won't take that away, but it would be a bonus." So I'll keep trying . . . .

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Desmama, thanks for stopping by. I'd be curious to know what you think of the book. For that matter, I'm curious to know what I'LL think of it, if I ever get around to reading it. I find I add to my reading list much more than I subtract from it. I suppose you could say I'm in serious book debt.

STM, good luck with the publishing. I know what you mean about writing some things that flow like a river, and others that, um, still need a lot of work. Sometimes I review something I've written and I think, "DANG that's good. Did I actually write that?" Then there are other compositions that are as flat as week-old 7-up.