Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Eggs and Mitt

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . attending an Easter egg hunt with dozens of other families from church. It was madness, in a fun sort of way.

And another thing . . .

. . . this afternoon I read that Mitt Romney is officially running for the presidency in 2012. I'm curious to see how his campaign will pan out this time. He strikes me as a smart, capable leader whose financial and business experience could be a huge benefit to our debt-strapped country, but last time I was a little put off by what struck me as an over-the-top effort to prove he was super, ultra, uberconservative. He was formerly the Republican governor of a very liberal state, so he can't be THAT conservative, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I value his ability to work with both parties and get things done in that state more than I would value his being the biggest, baddest conservative on the block. I think our country needs bipartisan cooperation far more than it needs extremist rhetoric.

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Good luck with that. The primary and the tea partiers have made bipartisanship and compromise into evil words. The Republican base now includes so many who are actually Libertarians (including the money from the Koch brothers) that the rhetoric is necessarily amped up into levels that make most people (even conservative people) deeply uncomfortable.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Sigh. Yes - what I want and what I expect are not necessarily the same thing.

And I don't envy GOP candidates, who have to appeal to their radical base to win primaries, but not sound so extreme that the rest of the country is afraid to vote for them in the general election.

Much as I like Obama, I think we can do better. I'm not sure we will, though.